Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water Chemistry Questions From a New Brewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
messersc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojotele View Post
Yeah, I try and keep the sodium and chlorine levels to a minimum. In his case, the sodium levels in his water are so low that you can add quite a bit of salt without getting a salty taste.

A little salt will accentuate sweetness, though. It does this on everyday foods. For instance, putting a small amount of salt on a carrot will make the carrot taste sweeter.
I'm interested in learning more about the non-pH aspects of water treatment. Can anybody offer me a basic (few sentences) overview, or point me to a more detailed explanation? I've gotten the sense in my own limited experience treating water that sometimes it does more than get your pH in line.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
smuth10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I only use RO water and from what I have read on HBT(As a general rule of thumb), and mainly from Adjelange, is to start with a tsp of Gypsum(~4g) and a tsp of Calcium Chloride per 5g of RO water. Then add about 2-4% of Acidulated Malt to bring your PH in the desired range(5.4-5.6). And depending on style you can adjust things from there.

I use RO for many reasons, but it is easier IMO to keep things consistent. Aside from removing the Fluoride and all the other crap that is in our city water. Just don't want it in my beer.

Anyway, I am pretty new to water chemistry so hopefully Adjelange or one of the more experience ppl will chime in and make corrections. It is more work obviously, but your water is soooooo important to brewing a good beer and being consistent. That, and a good PH Meter and wort at room temp for 15-20 min.

Scott...

Primary: Reaper's Mild
Secondary:
Kegged (aging):
Kegged (Drinking): DFH 120 Min IPA Clone, Hefe
Bottled: Cinnamon Vanilla Mead, 8-8-08 RIS, Devil May Cry, Westvleteren 12 clone, Very Berry Mead
On Deck: How Rye am I Saison, DFH 120 min clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply