New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water adjustments for hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
im322305
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Water adjustments for hefeweizen

Hey everyone. Im brewing up EdWort's Bavarian hefeweizen tomorrow and need some advice with adjusting my water for it (Grain Bill = 7 lbs Wheat & 4lbs Pilsner). I'm still fairly new to adjusting my water. My plan of attack is to dilute 40% of my city water with distilled water to help bring down the bicarbonates (all distilled water will be used in the mash plus .25 gallons of city water). Then I plan to use 4 ml of lactic acid in the mash along with 4 g of CaCl2 and 1 g of MgSO4. Mash water amount is 4.25 gallons and sparge amount is 5.5 gallons. Using EZ water spreadsheet I'm at an estimated room temp mash pH of 5.56 and an RA of -341. I understand that the spreadsheet is a useful tool but is not the end all be all.

City Water:

Ca = 30.5
Mg = 8.8
Na = 19
Cl = 18
SO4 = 28
Alkalinity (CaCO3) = 80

Adjusted Water:

Ca = 47
Mg = 8
Na = 11
Cl = 63
SO4 = 27
Cl/SO4 ratio = 2.33

1. How does everything look? (water additions, profile, etc..)

2. The RA given by the spreadsheet seems very low to be brewing with and I'm wondering if this is cause for concern.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
mabrungard
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 24

That approach appears fairly sound. I wouldn't bother with the Epsom salt addition, since there is no need for additional magnesium in the water. The malt provides all the Mg that is needed.

The lactic acid addition seems appropriate. I would not worry about the RA value. Its only the mash pH that matters. My experience is that the mash pH is not that different when wheat malt is used. I note that EZ assumes that wheat's pH effect is markedly higher pH. I'm not sure that I believe that. That might cause you to overacidify. Fortunately, I find that having a Hefe turn out a little more tart is a good thing.

Enjoy!

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
im322305
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard View Post
That approach appears fairly sound. I wouldn't bother with the Epsom salt addition, since there is no need for additional magnesium in the water. The malt provides all the Mg that is needed.

The lactic acid addition seems appropriate. I would not worry about the RA value. Its only the mash pH that matters. My experience is that the mash pH is not that different when wheat malt is used. I note that EZ assumes that wheat's pH effect is markedly higher pH. I'm not sure that I believe that. That might cause you to overacidify. Fortunately, I find that having a Hefe turn out a little more tart is a good thing.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the advice. I too was wondering why they put wheat's pH higher than the other base malts. Do you feel that I should lay back on the lactic acid to prevent a mash thats too acidic? Certainly don't mind a little tartness in my hefes but dont want it to be too overpowering either.

Quick Reply