Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water Adjustments

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
jjp36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Water Adjustments

I've got an upcoming DIPA i want to brew since my 3lbs of hops just arrived and have a question. This is the first beer i plan on doing water adjustments too. I downloaded Brew Water and let it calculate the additions for me (i'm using distilled as my base water). That part I've got under control.

There is also a section for pH control, where it suggests adding acid to balance the pH. I was wondering if this is necessary, and if so where should i go about finding it, or would i just be able to add some 5.2 stabilizer like i normally do? I'm not sure if adding the 5.2 will throw all the mineral/salt additions out of whack. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you are doing the mineral adjustments from distilled then you won't need any acid. As long as your target profile is based off the style you are brewing you should be in the ball-park. I'll sometimes throw a small amount of 5.2 in the mash just to make sure it hits the right PH, a little bit won't hurt anything.

Make sure you have your mineral additions calculated for both additions, one to the mash and one to the boil

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 09-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good luck on that. I called the guys at 5 star chemicals and asked that same question. He wouldn't give me an answer one way or the other. He did say it would have an impact on mineral additions, but without knowing the ingredients there's no way to counter act.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
jjp36
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
Make sure you have your mineral additions calculated for both additions, one to the mash and one to the boil
I was under the impression that i can treat all my brewing water at once? If i treat all the water in my HLT then i'll be good for the mash and sparge correct? Do i need another adjustment in the kettle?

Old 09-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A lot of the brewing salts wont' dissolve in water with a neutral PH, so that is why you add them to the mash and then add the rest to the boil. I did treat the whole batch in the HLT one time and ended up cleaning all the salts out of the bottom of the HLT after I was done brewing, I had stirred the water a lot, recirculated etc but they just didn't dissolve.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 09-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
klamz
Recipes 

I'm getting into water treatment myself. What salts should we be throwing into the mash so it disolves?

Old 09-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 16

klamz - that depends on your current water profile... Do you know your bi-carbonate levels, and calcium and sulfate levels?

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
klamz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman View Post
klamz - that depends on your current water profile... Do you know your bi-carbonate levels, and calcium and sulfate levels?
i know what to add but "where" to add it is the question. so i calculated for a specific recipe that ill need 2grams of chalk 2 grams of epsom salt and 2 grams of baking soda. do I add it all to the HLT? will it disolve fully? do i need to add some of them to the mash? should i put all the chalk into the mash and use the bakind soda and epsom for the HLT water?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 903 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I would add it all to the mash where it will dissolve better.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Pat_13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamz View Post
i know what to add but "where" to add it is the question. so i calculated for a specific recipe that ill need 2grams of chalk 2 grams of epsom salt and 2 grams of baking soda. do I add it all to the HLT? will it disolve fully? do i need to add some of them to the mash? should i put all the chalk into the mash and use the bakind soda and epsom for the HLT water?
Add your water adjustments in ratio to the water you are using. If you use 2 G of water out of a total 6 G to mash, then add 1/3 of your salts to your mash. Add the rest to the boil. If you calculate correctly you mash should be fine without the 5.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I would add it all to the mash where it will dissolve better.
If you do that your pH will be way off.

Quick Reply