The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
outdoors76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Water

So the only thing I really know about water is that it is wet and some taste better than others. So I called my water company and got my readings.

What if anything should I do to this water to make better beer?
Tampa, Florida
pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 463
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.77
Cations / Anions, me/L 8.1 / 8.3
ppm
Sodium, Na 44
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 102
Magnesium, Mg 12
Total Hardness, CaCO3 305
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.6 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 76
Chloride, Cl 40
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 144
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 118

Thanks in advance

Erik

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #2
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Does it taste good to you? Good water will make good beer. I use tap water, taste it first, and drop a campden tablet into every 10 gallons to get rid of chlorine/chloramine taste (not usually noticeable anyway, but I have the tabs so I use them). Otherwise I never bothered to look at pH or anything like that. And I love my beer!

I'm sure some more hardcore brew chemists will have some input, but there's always the rule of thumb that I stated at the beginning.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 972 Times on 795 Posts

You should move this thread to the Brew Science forum, where it will get more looks from some pretty smart people...

Cheers!

Old 01-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 24

That is pretty darn hard water and the sodium is getting on up there. The sulfate is the real problem. At 228 ppm as SO4, its way over the top for most styles excepting pale ales. The best thing that could be done with this water is to dilute it roughly at least 2 to 1 with either RO or distilled water. If brewing a delicate style, you may have no choice but use mostly RO or distilled. That will solve the elevated sulfate and sodium and give you room to add other ions if desired.

The alkalinity isn't ridiculous, so it looks like a pale ale would work out adequately with this raw water, but a touch of acid or acid malt might be needed to help drop the mash pH properly.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 01-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
BigTerp
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Read up on the various minerals to get a good understanding of what role they play in brewing. Palmer's "How to Brew" and Bru'n Water are both good resources. I had no idea about mineral composition before I switched to all grain. After getting a detailed water report and researching my ass off I now comfortably adjust ALL my water during brew day. It really is pretty simple once you get a decent understanding of it all. I'd also suggest EZWater Calculator, it's a great tool.

Primary #1: Yoopers Haus Pale Ale
Primary #2: Yoopers Haus Pale Ale
Primary #3:
Primary #4:
Bottled: Surly Bender Brown Ale, Pumpkin Ale, HHHH Pale Ale, Apfelwein (9/3/11)

Quick Reply