Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is wasted wort in boiler decreasing effiency?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 02:16 AM   #1
bigbellybrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Is wasted wort in boiler decreasing effiency?

Great day to brew, only hit 95 in Arkansas. Brewed a Bass Ale Clone (Biermuncher's recipe). My efficiency was 70%. My boiler setup leaves about 3 qt. of beautiful wort mixed with trub. I am using a 15 qt. boiler with a bazooka screen. I loose my siphon at about 3 qts. This can't help my efficiency (logic tells). Is this typical with boilers? Should I expect this much loss? Do I need to look elsewhere for gains in efficiency?
OK, long thread but need to cut down on total time to brew (10 gallons). It took about 6 hours to brew. Boil time was 60 minutes. I am using a Bayou Classics on hot water tank and boiler. Using a preIC packed in ice water leading to IC. Am I going to have to spend $$ on improving cooling and $$ on higher BTU burners to decrease time?

Avatar is a pic of my grandfather. 1st to hit Omaha beach on D-Day..the greatest generation

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's a decrease in overall or "brewhouse" efficiency. Afterall, that's wort lost. That's why I really hate the bazooka. No dip tube.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-22-2008, 03:34 AM   #3
bigbellybrewery

Recipes 

The trub and hops were clogging my spigot. I added a bazooka. I was afraid a siphon would clot off. What's best?

Avatar is a pic of my grandfather. 1st to hit Omaha beach on D-Day..the greatest generation

Old 06-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Any more I just empty the whole boiler into the fermenters, hops and all. It does not hurt the taste at all and I seem to notice better hop flavor from the late hop additions. It's a win-win situation. I make 12 gallon batches and try to split up the hop trub between the fermenters if using carboys. Otherwise I just put all of it into my conical. A good chiller is the best for reducing haze. My ales are really clear and I ferment in a temp controlled freezer at the yeasts recommended temperature.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 06-22-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've actually taken gravity readings of my wort before hitting the hop trub at the bottom and then after straining out that trub. Believe it or not....the gravity readings were the same!! Would it be different if you didn't strain? Perhaps....or perhaps not (maybe by the time you take the sample, the big debris has already started falling to the bottom of the fermentor).

However, I do strain out the bottom part with a fine mesh strainer.....I'm able to collect all the spent hops and any coagulated debris that's already happened from the irish moss. My belief is that it might be good to get that bottom juice....even though it doesn't increase gravity, my theory is that there must be some extra hop residue (afterall, the juice that comes out of the strainer seems to turn a slight green when it's hitting those hop clusters).

Old 06-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I use a diptube and a stainless pot scrubbie.

Great results.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesrose View Post
I've actually taken gravity readings of my wort before hitting the hop trub at the bottom and then after straining out that trub. Believe it or not....the gravity readings were the same!! .
The hydro reads the density, IE sugars, etc in the wort, trub does not impact the SG of the liquid.

I am interested in the concept that trub can be thrown into the primary, sometimes I dump it all in, sometimes I don't and I have never noticed a difference. But then again for me as long as the hops are there, the beer is bitter and the ABV is high I'm a very happy camper.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I use large nylon paint strainer bags for my hop additions and just have a straight dip tube going to the bottom. I leave about a pint of wort behind.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I use a bazooka in my kettle, but pour the dregs through a strainer.

For 10 gallons, a larger burner would really help. Something in the 150-200,000 BTU range. Another option is to start heating the first runnings immediately, rather than waiting until the sparge is complete. (This is a bad idea if you are making pales, though)

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai_Kahuna View Post
The hydro reads the density, IE sugars, etc in the wort, trub does not impact the SG of the liquid.
The hydrometer reads density....nothing more. Before I confirmed that strained trub has the same density as the rest of the wort, I had thought that it might be possible that there were a few points extra of whatever would have coagulated with the spent hops. But my gravity readings pretty much confirmed that if anything already flocculated down from cooling down, it's not much of any difference.

As for hop preference: I tried nylon bags a couple times, but found that they didn't make cleanup any easier then straining. I also think I get a little more bitterness by straining the hops out when transfering wort. So that's the way I roll: is interesting to see how different people's methods/ setups are. Whatever works for you to get some good beer!

Quick Reply