Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Want to make a more complex hefeweizen - what else to use?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Rev2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Default Want to make a more complex hefeweizen - what else to use?

I want to do my second AG hefeweizen (have done many extract ones) and would like to get it a bit more complex in flavors. 98% of the recipes I see out there (in magazines and online) all just say pale wheat and pilsner malt or pale malt. Even many of the clone recipes for completely different tasting beers often have nearly identical ingredients. I know I know, a lot of it comes from the process, the yeast, decoctions, etc but I was just wondering what other grains can be used.

I'm kinda thinking of the nice classic banana/clove tasting wheat (not dunkel) but I would like an additional flavor... perhaps let's say a toasty bread kind of flavor added to it but it doesn't have to be that exactly. I've been looking at grains and so far I'm thinking any one of these grains could be possibly be used but some of course would need to be used in very small quantities:

Belgian Biscuit
Belgian Caravienne
Briess Victory
Maris Otter
German Munich
German Vienna
Weyemann Dark wheat
Weyermann Melanoidin

You get the point. Again, not looking to do a dunkel and using Beersmith I see even some of these darker grains can be used in smaller amounts and still keep to the style. Just looking for an extra dimension outside of the standard pale wheat/pilsner malt. Any suggestions?

Rev.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
Jimbob
Recipes 

Rev, one thing I've done has been to pitch less yeast when making Hefes or Wit beers. So if you make a starter just pitch a vile next time around. You can also try to increase your fermentation temps too. How much yeast are you pitching?

If only I could quit my job, get the two year old twins to carry a carboy, I'd brew everyday!!!

Old 12-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Batinse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Pinkus Hefe uses two-row instead of Pilsner malt and its one of the nicest Hefes around.

I'm a fan of simplicity though--the maltiness and breadiness does not come from specialty malts. I would personally never add anything more than, say 5% Munich. Actually, I would never add Munich to a Hefe, but that's the only suggestion you can get me to utter aloud!

ETA. Actually that's not true. If I were making a more Paulaner-esque Hefe, I would add Munich. You might want to check out this recipe on the NB forum--I think the Carafa II is sacrilege, but the rest of the recipe looks okay. I've used it for inspiration in the past.

Bottled: Alec's Ale, Alec's Ale X, Nut Very Good Brown Ale, Pliny the Elder Clone, Admiral Longshank's Oatmeal Stout

Old 12-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 98

You know what I really love? It's not for everyone, but... smoked hefeweizen. Just a little rauchmalt (couple pounds, tops), it's just nice and smooth and warm but light. Real nice beer, something a little unusual.

That's a little out of left field. I've only seen a couple commercial examples, and I've only made it the one time.

Using a little of the Munich might somewhat approximate the effect of pulling a decoction. You could go that route, if you wanted a little more of the bready-type character.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Jimbob
Recipes 

If you're wanting to make a Hefe to style then stick with Pilsner and Wheat (and pitch less yeast IMO). As others have mentione Iwould stay away from any specialty malts. Those phinolic flavors (clove and banana) are a result of the fermentation. If you are wanting to play around and do some different stuff I would suggest tasting a malt you want to use and making a couple of batches with a single specialty malt incorporated into the recipe don'tadd too much at once.thatway youcan dial things in. Sounds fun posst what you decide on and the results.

If only I could quit my job, get the two year old twins to carry a carboy, I'd brew everyday!!!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sorry, but Complex Hefeweizen is an oxymoron to me.

How bout a complex American Wheat beer? Different hops, higher ibu, different specialty malts, etc...

A Hefeweizen is a Hefeweizen and if it ain't broke, don't fix it IMHO. It's a beautiful thing.

/sniff

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 12-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
Stephonovich
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I like the flavor of Biscuit Malt. That being said, not sure how it'd work in a Hefe.

Probably won't meet any guidelines, but hell, go ahead. I'm a huge fan of "Will it work? Eh. Try it out." I'd say 10% or so would probably be alright.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
Jimbob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephonovich
i like the flavor of biscuit malt. That being said, not sure how it'd work in a hefe.

Probably won't meet any guidelines, but hell, go ahead. I'm a huge fan of "will it work? Eh. Try it out." i'd say 10% or so would probably be alright.
++1

Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 AM   #9
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 196

I typically only use one package of wyeast and ferment only slightly warm - 68 to 70.

As far as hefe's having complexity, they can be very complex even with super simple ingredients. I'm not looking to throw 2-3 other malts in there, just looking to figure out one that may add an additional dimension. Schneider uses more than just pale wheat and pilsner for example, though its kinda between a hefe and dunkel.

Rev.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #10
kyleobie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The key to brewing a good hefeweizen is not the malt bill (or hops) but brewing technique.

You could try a ferulic acid rest or better control of your fermentation temperatures to really nail the spiciness of good weizen yeast.

Or just brew a dunkelweizen! It's a great style too.

Geography in a Glass:
http://beergeography.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply