Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > A walk on the wild side

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
dcarter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default A walk on the wild side

Well, I have just mashed 9 lbs marris otter and 1 lb 30 L caramel malt and should start the boil within the hour. I plan to add 1.5 oz kent goldings at 60 and 10 minutes. Sounds a little stout for an ale but I think thats ok. The wild part is that I plan to pitch some 1st generation safe ale yeast which was pulled off a batch of brown ale about three weeks ago. Im not sure what to expect but since it has been refrigerated for so long but Im hoping everything goes well.

Has anyone else used yeast after almost a month in the fridge? If so, how did it work out? Ill tell you tommorow how mine does!

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

9 lbs Maris Otter, 1 lb crystal, 3 oz EKG. If you need help drinking it, I'll volunteer.
I've often kept yeast in the fridge for well over a month, but I've always washed it, and made a starter before brewing. I only once had a slight problem with a brew that fermented very slowly in the primary for almost 5 weeks before it slowed down enough to rack to secondary. In spite of this, the beer tasted great.

-a.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:21 AM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 592 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarter
Has anyone else used yeast after almost a month in the fridge? If so, how did it work out? Ill tell you tommorow how mine does!
I have, a number of times. No problems. Even some that I did not wash, turned out great. Totally unrelated beers (from porter to Pale Ale) and no off flavors.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:29 AM   #4
dcarter
Recipes 

I pitched about 30 minutes ago, I pitched it cold into 80 degree wort. Ill let everyone know how it comes out. It should make for some interesting brew if nothing else.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 04-21-2007, 02:30 AM   #5
dcarter
Recipes 

oh yeah, I hopped it up a bit also, ended up going with 4 oz EKG. woo hoo

Quick Reply