New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Wacky HYPOTHETICAL "all-grain" Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
holjim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wacky HYPOTHETICAL "all-grain" Question

As it says in the title, this is just a hypothetical I couldn't really answer. No need to explain why just getting all the gear and doing a proper all grain is better...it's just a hypothetical.

That said... if you were to take the BYO approach to countertop, partial mashing, except going with the three gallon jug instead of the two (which would then allow you to mash six pounds of grain), could you, in theory, use two three gallon jugs and do a full all-grain mash that way?

You would seemingly be able to mash up to 12 pounds of grain.

Obviously you'd be doubling up everything (literally just doing two mashes simultaneously and then either dumping all the wort into one pot or if you had to, into two identical smaller pots).

My mind wants to tell me that you would be missing something by doing this but would you?

Again, it's just a silly question with no real point other than when I was asked, I couldn't convince myself that it would be ok. LOL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

In theory it would work, but here are my thoughts:
You would definately need to mash the same types and percentages of grain in each to get the true profile of a single batch msah. Meaning if your recipe is for EdWorts House Pale ale (8lb 2row, 2lb Vienna 1/2lb C10L) you would want to put 4lb 2row 1lb Vienna and .25lb C10L in each tun, rather than all in one and nothing but base in the other...

Currently I have a 3gal Ice Cube countertop PM'r. It does not take up any more counter space than my 5gal Rubbermaid Cooler, so why would I want to do all that extra work.

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Or you could:

1) Buy a large grain bag that will fit up to 15 lbs of grain
2) Get a turkey fryer

Use BIAB, and you're set for all grain up to 12 or 15lbs or something like that. I just did a little over 10 lbs, didn't use enough water in my mash, spilled a lot, and didn't boil off half a gallon, and still ended up with 69% efficiency.

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Old 11-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

With a 5 gal paint strainer bag, a vegetable steamer, and a 5 gallon cooler you can mash around 10 pounds of grain. When you really want to get fancy you can upgrade to a valve and braid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

In the winter, I sometimes do smaller AG batches. I'll primary in a 5 gal bucket but only use 3gal of wort. then I'll use my 3gal carboy for secondary (mostly to reduce surface area so the CO2 can blanket the beer 'easily').

this lets me do everything on my stovetop, in two pots.

you'd be better off doing one mash/sparge in one vessel, but collecting equal runnings in two stock pots (if you had to), boil and proceed like normal.
separate mashings is more trouble than its worth IMO

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
littlehop
Recipes 

Well what if you did two small batches, same grains in both but intentionally did differant mash temps say 148 and 155 and then mixmthem together in the boil pot? Would you get a highly fermentable extra malty beer.

littlehop trys to make enough
but it keeps getting druck

Old 11-06-2008, 01:35 AM   #7
T-Hops
Recipes 

I am guessing you would end up with a beer that would be similar to a single mash mashed at 151.5 F.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
holjim
Recipes 

Default Paint Strainers Rule!

Those 5 gal paint strainer bags are AWESOME! I will never buy a wimpy and small overpriced grain bag again. I used one in a 2 gal cooler, wondering if it would be way too overkill for 4# of grain but it was PERFECT. Plenty of room for the grain to breathe and get all that hot water.

So cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
With a 5 gal paint strainer bag, a vegetable steamer, and a 5 gallon cooler you can mash around 10 pounds of grain. When you really want to get fancy you can upgrade to a valve and braid.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
climateboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
Or you could:

1) Buy a large grain bag that will fit up to 15 lbs of grain
2) Get a turkey fryer

Use BIAB, and you're set for all grain up to 12 or 15lbs or something like that. I just did a little over 10 lbs, didn't use enough water in my mash, spilled a lot, and didn't boil off half a gallon, and still ended up with 69% efficiency.
What's BIAB?

"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers

"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

Old 11-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"Brew in a bag". Search around for it here or on google and you'll find some stuff on it. It's really easy and doesn't include a sparge.

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Quick Reply