The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is vorlauf necessary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #11
jkbachman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It's not an absolute necessity, but if you're a stickler for detail and procedure then it should be done. It adds a couple of minutes and the grain bed helps filter stuff really well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
Bradzukie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

In a 4-5 hour brew session why not vorlouf? It takes maybe 5 minutes. If you want to speed it up a little use a steamer basket to distribute the wort over the grains so you don't disturb the bed. You can pour it a lot faster into that. But really. Its only 5 minutes.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 554 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Simple. Do a vorlauf into a clear vessel of a quart or two in size. Drain off another and compare the two. If they are both clear enough for you, your system keeps your wort clear and you don't need to vorlauf.

I use a braid and get a lot of fine particles in my vorlauf and very clear after a pitcher full. So I will continue.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Doesn't have to add time, do it towards the end of the mash (like 55mins in if you mash for 60min). It may look clear, but try it and you'll notice a proteiny-cloudy mess on top of the mash when it drains.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
BOBTHEukBREWER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

What exactly is vorlauf. I use a copper manifold with slits and keep tipping the runnings back into the mash until they are gin clear which is normally 5 minutes. I also wrap my manifold in a very fine muslin bag.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBTHEukBREWER View Post
What exactly is vorlauf. I use a copper manifold with slits and keep tipping the runnings back into the mash until they are gin clear which is normally 5 minutes. I also wrap my manifold in a very fine muslin bag.
Vorlaufing is what you are doing. It is simply draining some wort from the MLT and returning it back to the main body of the mash until the wort runs clear.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Your clarity is not defined by the mash process. Your proteins coagulate in the boil and settle out in the trub in the kettle and fermenter. If one is truly concerned on trying to solve this mystery, brew two beers one with and one without and let us know the differences you find

Old 05-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #18
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

I still do it, but I've read and/or seen a few references which say it's unnecessary and provides benefits during fermentation for the amounts we home brewers are dealing with. So... I really don't worry about sparkling clear transfer anymore. I drain off a bit of the loose stuff, and move on.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #19
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

When I use my cooler MT w/ a braid the first quart of so looks a little cloudy w/ protiens, not pieces of grain I believe. The wort that I return to the MT while vorlaughing looks very much like the 9 gallons of wort that I get while doing BIAB, both methods produce similiar beer. Last batch w/ the MT I just ran straight to the kettle, the trivial amount of matter eliminated during vorlaughing w/ a braid MT is so small it's trivial IME and IMO.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 05-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Okay, I'm confused. According to the one notable guy who advocates the batch sparge method (forgot his name, saw him on youtube), vorlaufing is just to get the "chunks" out of the brew. Others here refer to using it to get clearer brew. Those are two different things. In any case, it's my reasoning that any chunks and cloudiness will fall to the bottom of any boil pot and fermenter, anyway, so what's the point? It seems like this is one of those minor things that is belabored over ad nauseum, but doesn't really matter in the long run. Am I wrong?

Quick Reply