*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Video instructional for all-grain processes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
EyePeeA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Video instructional for all-grain processes

Can anyone direct me to a video-instructional to demystify all-grain brewing, i.e. mashing in, mashing out, sparging, recirculating, vorlaufing, and the differences between fly and batch sparging? I'm looking for more of a friendly instructional that isn't severely dummed down.

I'm a visual person and not very into extreme DIY. I'm not sure reading about it has completely sunk in yet. So anything simple, with pictures or videos, that doesn't require me building a mash tun or cutting slits into a homeade PVC pipe maze, would help.

I'm brewing Partial Mash BIAB and dunk sparging. I know the basics, but I'm only mashing about 3-4 lbs of grain on average. As the amount of grain I use increases bit by bit, I want to make sure I am doing this correctly in order to have good efficiency, preferably in the mid 80s. Again, I'm not switching to all-grain. Still brewing partial mash, but I need someone to help explain the whole mash/sparge/vorlauf process.

Also, I would appreciate if someone can explain in this thread why you have to sparge with a specific amount of water for 10 minutes or 30 minutes, or however long it takes. I always see the time and volume change. And are the processes different if you're brewing all-grain BIAB? In addition, the purpose of step mashing, protein rests, sach rests, are all ambiguous to me. We're brewing mostly American Ales here, so what's wrong with a simple one stage mash with a specific amount of water at a specific temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
rossi46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 5

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/i-ma...ke-look-58343/

Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Icenine61
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://basicbrewingshop.com/index.ph...&products_id=7

Primary- White House Honey Ale
Primary- Honey Kolsch
Primary- JOAM Mead
Bottled- Brickwarmer Holiday Red

Old 02-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Genuine
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://basicsofhomebrewing.com/

Old 02-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 992 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you want to be sufficiently lulled to sleep, this is the first half of my attempt.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
People Like This 
Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
Quadrupled
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 110

I'm glad Bobby_M posted his videos. I remember finding only the first two when I started; they were really helpful and certainly helped to boost to my confidence when diving in.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Just to toss another one in there here is the man, John Palmer. Been a while since I watched that so not sure how in depth it is but it would add to any other video I'm sure.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
EyePeeA
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
If you want to be sufficiently lulled to sleep, this is the first half of my attempt.
I watched the first two videos last night, back to back. They were very informative and will hopefuly help me to become a better brewer. Thank you for that. You definitely have a handle on the actual science that goes on.

So if I want a highly fermentable, dry, west coast IPA... then I should shoot for a long 90-120 minute mash with mostly American 2-row held at 147F, to harness the more concise short chain chopping action of beta amalyse, as opposed to allowing alpha amylase to randomly chop the starches up into small and large chain sugars? The downside would to mashing low would be a watery body, but can this be combatted by using 5% carapils to add some dextrins back into the wort without adding caramel sweetness?

Some other things I wanted clarification on, correct me if I'm wrong:

-Protein rests are only really necessary if you're brewing wheat beers or recipes that rely on a decent amount of unmalted grains that haven't really been modified.

-Mashing out is only really sensical when you're brewing a beer with full body and mashing high, since you primarily want to target the alpha amylase range, then halt everything... and avoid the beta amylase range as much as possible.

Quick Reply