The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Victory as a base malt?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #21
WilliamSlayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Whoa, to each his own guys.

Remember that one mans 'all victory beer' is another mans 'bacon and maple syrup beer', or 'spruce tips and belgian yeast beer'. No one has to drink it but the brewer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #22
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2936 Times on 1866 Posts
Likes Given: 2480

A member here, Alchemist, brewed a 100% peated malt beer. Popular advice is DO NOT go above about 2% with that malt. Alchemist said it was awesome and that he'd brew it again. There were a few naysayers in that thread!

The OP has been cautioned. I think he understands the risk.

I'd say go for it with the biscuit. Although, I agree there's probably no reason to have both victory and biscuit: I thought they were the same thing.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #23
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Victory is Briess' brand of biscuit. Our malts chart has it as nuttier than other biscuits, though I cannot say from experience whether this is true. I've made beers with 15%+ biscuit or amber, and never felt them to be too much, or even to be approaching too much. 40% might be too much of a good thing, but I just bottled a stout that was 30% brown and black malt, so I think it will be fine.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #24
sptaylor70
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I just opened a Southern brown ale that I made with American pale 2-row and 18% Victory. I was using the Victory in combination with the 2-row to simulate Maris Otter. It's noticeably dry and bready, but for this beer (which was also 20% crystal and chocolate malts) it worked nicely. The experimenter in me says try brewing this several times, each time increasing the percentage of Victory. Then you can get a better feel for what effects Victory gives you.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #25
confuted
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

sptaylor has given me a good idea. How much crystal malt would I need to add to make up for the dryness imparted by the victory?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #26
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by confuted View Post
sptaylor has given me a good idea. How much crystal malt would I need to add to make up for the dryness imparted by the victory?
If I had to guess I would say probably about the same proportion of biscuit you use, but that is totally 'style' dependent..but I'm not sure style really applies here. I would definitely use mostly lower/sweeter ones, but a little bit of roasty notes might be a nice addition. As for your hops, I would keep it minimal and use something clean like warrior.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #27
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've used 5% or so in many pale ales, and had it blend in well. Also used 10% in several other beers, including pale ales, and have never had it be too much. To me, the idea that above 10% makes it undrinkable is not right. I wouldn't hesitate to try 20% if I could muster up a good grain bill to go with it. No immediate plans, and would try other experiments first....

Fat Tire of years past was quite biscuity. More so than the simple pale ales I made with 5%.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #28
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You don't need to do a full batch to see if something is a dumb idea. Brew up a 1 or 2 gal stovetop BIAB and see how it turns out. I just did a similar experiment with brown malt. I was aiming for as close to 100% that would still convert (it ended up being 60% brown, 40%pale)

Old 11-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #29
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx View Post
You don't need to do a full batch to see if something is a dumb idea. Brew up a 1 or 2 gal stovetop BIAB and see how it turns out.
+1 for this. This is a great way to try out new recipes/ingredients/combinations, or to try three or four different takes on some part of your process (I've done it for no starter/shaken starter/shaken starter with cold crash) just to see how it affects your final product.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #30
confuted
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'm trying it today with the 1 gallon BIAB suggestion.

1 lb US 2 Row
1 lb Victory
1 lb Crystal 60
0.4 oz Fuggles (5%)
US-04

Mash at 155F

Quick Reply