Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > VERY!VERY! VERY! cloudy beer??????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
baer19d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default VERY!VERY! VERY! cloudy beer??????

I brewed my first two batches of all grain in well over a year and the beer is very cloudy. I made a brown ale and an IPA. I fermented for about 5 days and than kegged and forced carbonated. Both beer taste fine but the brown ale looks more like a late and the IPA looks like a Hefeweitzen. The yeast I was forced to use was Safbrew S-33 because thats what I was able to buy locally and I used Irish moss at the end of the boil. At first I thought maybe it was a severe case of chill haze but it's not. What could the problem be and how can I fix it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 499 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 13

1) Learn about cold crashing
2) Don't ferment in only five days

Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Kegging at 5 days seems to be a bit extreme. It's only a medium flocculation strain. Give it some time to flocculate and also clean up your beer for starters.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 06-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

"I fermented for about 5 days and than kegged and forced carbonated" - give it at least 2 weeks in primary, then keg and let sit in your fridge for another 2 weeks.

You can't rush good beer.

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 06-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Minimum I've fermented was 10 days, for a witbier, where cloudy is fine. At this point the best you can do is leave it alone in the keg, cold, for a week or two. Then pour off the first pint (pour off as in, pour it down the drain) and it should be much clearer as it goes. Don't disturb the keg at all during this time, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
BrewDoc22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree with the above sentiments about needing a longer fermentation and possibly a secondary fermentation prior to kegging.

I also wanted to offer up one other possibility to explain the cloudiness of your beers. It could also be unconverted starches left over in the wort following a mash that was either too short or at the incorrect temperature. This can often give the liquid a milky or murky character.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
tre9er
Recipes 

I had a beer that didn't attenuate very well but was stable gravity, so I kegged it. It poured SOOO cloudy I thought it still had yeast in suspension (even though I'd cold-crashed before racking to keg). I set it back out at room temp for another week, then chilled for a few days, still poured cloudy. Left it alone in fridge for a week and came back, poured off, was beautiful thereafter.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewDoc22 View Post
I agree with the above sentiments about needing a longer fermentation and possibly a secondary fermentation prior to kegging.

I also wanted to offer up one other possibility to explain the cloudiness of your beers. It could also be unconverted starches left over in the wort following a mash that was either too short or at the incorrect temperature. This can often give the liquid a milky or murky character.
Possible, but in this case the simplest answer seems best; the OP simply did not leave the beer enough time for the yeast to fall out of suspension.

How many pints have you pulled? As the beer sits cold, that excess yeast should still be falling out of suspension - and since the dip tube sits at the bottom of the keg, you'll be pulling the "yeastiest" beer initially. Wouldn't surprise me if the beer clears up on its own, as long as you let the keg sit.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Possible, but in this case the simplest answer seems best; the OP simply did not leave the beer enough time for the yeast to fall out of suspension.

How many pints have you pulled? As the beer sits cold, that excess yeast should still be falling out of suspension - and since the dip tube sits at the bottom of the keg, you'll be pulling the "yeastiest" beer initially. Wouldn't surprise me if the beer clears up on its own, as long as you let the keg sit.
That's why I recommend it sit still for a while. Let it mostly fall down and then pour off that first pint or two which should primarily be comprised of settled what-not.

Quote:

Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Agreed.

I'll say, too, that I don't think a secondary fermentation is necessary. You can get beer that's plenty clear if you let it finish conditioning in the primary, and carefully rack into the keg.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply