Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Very Low Efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #21
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 968 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Nit picking but mash efficiency is a measure of conversion and diffusion, i.e. taking a gravity sample directly out of the mash and using the total water addition as the dilution figure. This is a measure of how much sugar you got into the mash wort.

Mash/Lauter takes into account how good you were at getting the sugar water out of the mash.

Brewhouse is the aggregate of all the processes and considers system losses post boil.

That's why I said there are three different places you can test for efficiency where the figures are going to be different.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #22
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Nit picking but mash efficiency is a measure of conversion and diffusion, i.e. taking a gravity sample directly out of the mash and using the total water addition as the dilution figure. This is a measure of how much sugar you got into the mash wort.
Ha! Nit pick accepted. I would think a potential issue with this approach is that water to grist ratio would have a significant impact on the "measured" result vs the actual result. Less so, the moisture content of the grain, but those would both impact the percentage of water absorbed in the grain. Not saying it might not be a useful number, particularly if using the same grain bill and water:grist ratio over consecutive batches.

Fake it til you make it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply