Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Very Low Efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 475 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonex
your recipe was calculated for 5 gal. you had an extra 1/2 gallon not accounted for in the recipe so the beer was diluted by an extra 1/2 gal. of water not boiled off.
^^This^^, that half gallon plus the probability of an inadequate crush equals poor efficiency and lower than expected OG.

As you move to AG you will find all these details play into every beer batch you make. Any variations in the process, volumes, crush, etc will have the potential to make or break a beer

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

When you added the grain to the strike water did you stir really well to break up the dough balls? If not, that could explain the poor efficiency. I've never tried BIAB, but I also think that you would need a great deal of dunking (or even another stir of the grains in the bag to dissolve the sugars trapped in the grains.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
jb1677
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
When you added the grain to the strike water did you stir really well to break up the dough balls? If not, that could explain the poor efficiency. I've never tried BIAB, but I also think that you would need a great deal of dunking (or even another stir of the grains in the bag to dissolve the sugars trapped in the grains.

-a.
I stired well, made sure there were no clumps at all - a nice slightly watery oatmeal consistency.

I dunked the bag numerous times, then stirred with it sumberged in the sparge water and let it sit for 10 minutes.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
chmarkham
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Yesterday I attempted a partial mash for the first time, I ended up missing my OG by a mile (target 1.067, actual 1.053). My calculated efficiency was ~30%. My method was not traditional and I am sure was the cause but I dot get exactly why.

efficiency is measured pre boil gravity after the mash

Old 07-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #15
jb1677
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After thinking about this a lot more than I probably should I came up with two other potential issues.

1. Testing my hydrometer with distilled water I came up with varying numbers. It became evident that dropping it in and waiting for it to settle could produce a consistent yet wrong reading. Dunking it with my finger and letting it bob back to a stable place too resulted in inacurate readings. I found that spinning it in the tube and allowing it to come to rest consistently produced a 1.000 reading. So its entirely possible my reading was wrong from teh start by a few points.

2. The Melanoiden, Carafoam and Caramel were all orderd crushed in 1lb increments. I only needed 1/2 lb of each so I split the lb by volume using a measuring cup - its entirely possible that I got more hulls and less seed. This would not account for the huge miss but could play a part.

I am thinking in the end there is no single answer, the two items above in conjunction with an elevated volume of wort probably all played into the "miss".

I am going to try brewing again real soon using grain crushed same day, and pre-measured before crushing along with very strict gravity and water measurements along the way along with adjusting my burner so that I end up boiling off exactly what I planned to do (its amazing how much I can vary boiloff by simply boiling more vigorously)

Old 07-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #16
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 983 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmarkham View Post

efficiency is measured pre boil gravity after the mash
What gives you that impression? You can measure efficiency at three distinct portions of the process.. in the mash, in the kettle preboil and in the fermenter. They all tell you important things about the process if you're in troubleshooting mode.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
Denny Likes This 
Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #17
chmarkham
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
What gives you that impression? You can measure efficiency at three distinct portions of the process.. in the mash, in the kettle preboil and in the fermenter. They all tell you important things about the process if you're in troubleshooting mode.
brewhouse efficiency is how much sugar you get out of the grain mash and pre boil gravity is the same thing. og and fg is different then brewhouse efficiency

Old 07-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
Gartywood
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I thought that was mash efficiency and brew house efficiency was how much sugar got to the fermenter.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #19
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartywood View Post
I thought that was mash efficiency and brew house efficiency was how much sugar got to the fermenter.
You are correct.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 07-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #20
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmarkham

brewhouse efficiency is how much sugar you get out of the grain mash and pre boil gravity is the same thing. og and fg is different then brewhouse efficiency
Brewhouse efficiency is the percentage of potential sugar that makes it into the fermenter. Mash efficiency is the percentage of potential sugar that makes it into your kettle, which is what you seem to be referring to.

Fake it til you make it.

Quick Reply