Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Very Inconsistent all grain efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #11
MrMista
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
I ran each of those grain bills through ProMash and adjusted the efficiency settings to obtain the expected gravity and your actual gravity assuming a 5 gallon batch.
Here are the results:
  1. Efficiency of 71% would give 1.053. Efficiency of 59% would give 1.044
  2. Efficiency of 60% would give 1.053. Efficiency of 68% would give 1.060
  3. Efficiency of 68% gives 1.050
  4. Efficiency of 75% would give 1.053. Efficiency of 63% would give 1.044
It seems that your efficiencies (which vary over 9 percentage points) are more consistent than the batches (which vary over 15 percentage points).

Are you sure that the recipies are all for the same batch size - especially recipe 2?

For batch 1 (where you got 59% efficiency) there is a substantial amount of wheat. As wheat grains ares smaller than barley, they may need to be milled with a smaller gap than barley (or milled twice). This could possibly explain why you only got 59% efficiency on batch 1.

Batches 2 and 3, you got 68% efficiency, but I cannot see any reason why reason why your efficiency dropped to 63% on batch 4.

-a.
Thanks for running that through, I am certain that each of these recipes is for a 5 gallon batch. I was told by AHS that all of their recipes assume a 75% efficiency. I guess that is not true.

I think batch 1 could have been so low because it was my first all-grain and I made some mistakes. In batch 4 I didn't hit my mash temperature exactly (and had to add hot water once it heated on my stove), so that could be the cause for the 5% drop. I think in the future when I build my recipes I will assume a 68% efficiency.

I wish AHS had a way for me to say what my efficiency was and they would adjust my grain bill appropriately. I have to buy the kit first to get the recipe so running through BeerSmith or ProMash is impossible (so that I could order exactly the amount of grains I need).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 465 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Besides all that's been mentioned I would have them mill your grain twice as most LHBS are kind of course IMVHO. They tend to do this to avoid having their clients wind up with stuck sparges.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply