The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > vanilla bourbon porter question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
brewmadness
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default vanilla bourbon porter question

Ok, just wanted to see what the general consensus is. I've read different things where people either put the vanilla beans in bourbon for a week and then add to secondary, add just the beans to secondary and then add bourbon to bottling bucket at bottling time....What do most of you do, and what differences in flavor have you seen if you have tried it both ways? My plan is to add the beans and bourbon to secondary for a week and then bottle but just wanted to see what everyone else does.
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
baseballstar4
Recipes 

I have soaked vanilla beans in vodka for Pumking clone and added both beans and vodka, no noticeable of flavones or anything that I could tell from doing that. I have soaked some oak chips in Woodford Reserve but did not add that with the chips I added fresh at bottling time for a RIS.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
yodalegomaster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I ask Denny Conn what's best.

I have used the second method myself where I add the beans to the secondary and bourbon to taste. It's all about tasting along the way to get balance.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Since you're doing a vanilla bourbon, definitely go with soaking 2 split and scraped beans in 4oz of bourbon and adding to taste.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
Since you're doing a vanilla bourbon, definitely go with soaking 2 split and scraped beans in 4oz of bourbon and adding to taste.
When you say "scraped beans" do you scrape out the innards of the bean and use the innards or do you discard these and use the outer shell only?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
When you say "scraped beans" do you scrape out the innards of the bean and use the innards or do you discard these and use the outer shell only?
You use the innards. That's where all the flavor is.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Use both the innards and the rest of the bean as well. Soak it all in the bourbon for 5-7 days, shaking every time you walk past it. Add it in the bottling bucket a 1/2 oz at a time until you get the flavor you want. If you get the level of vanilla you want, but still want more bourbon flavor, then add more raw bourbon.

Quick Reply