Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Using a wind chill of -5 to chill wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Air has a very low heat capacity, so unless you've got about 30 knots going, I suspect it will take a while. Wind chill is a measure of how cold it feels and factors in normal evaporation from your skin. Ideally, brew kettles don't sweat.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2007, 09:53 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1079 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Get yourself a big plastic tub, maybe the kind with rope handles that a lot of people use to ice-cool half kegs. Fill it half way with water and then add some rock salt and leave it outside for a few hours. It should get to about 10-20dF without freezing. Then set your kettle in it being sure to stir (whirlpool) both the wort and cold water every once in a while. Of course use different spoons and make sure the one touching the wort is sanitized. It will take a little longer than running the chiller, but with that kind of differential, you should be good to go. You can also use the cold to create little ice bricks using empty coolwhip containers and such. As your tub water warms, dump a few of them in.

Bernie, yes I'm pretty sure most folks whirlpool the wort during immersion chilling. It cuts the cool time in half. I get under 90dF in less than 5 minutes if I whirlpool once before running the water. It spins for a while after so I throw the cover on. As long as your spoon is sanitized (I leave it in the boil for the last couple minutes), no problem.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 02-03-2007, 11:25 PM   #13
brewman !
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I tried cooling a split batch in the snowbank about a month ago. It doesn't work worth a darn. There isn't enough surface area on the pot the transfer heat from the beer. I put snow on the lids to help speed things up. Then when I lifted the lids a bit of water ran into the brew ! My beer became infected.

I'm brewing a half batch tonight. I'm using my immersion chiller to cool it.

Getting back into brewing...

Old 02-04-2007, 01:23 AM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

By the way, you can still use your IC if you get yourself a cheap pond/aquarium pump. Then you can bring a bucket of icewater to your pot instead of worrying about your frozen outdoor spigot. This cools incredibly fast too.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 02-04-2007, 04:51 AM   #15
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

used the wind today do to sheer laziness, in not wanting to either sanitize the wort chiller, nor even walk down the stairs to get it to drop it in the boil, i tossed the six gallons of steaming wort out back and let the sub arctic wind act as my ghettoist of chillers. it took four hours from boiling down to 70.

i don't think anything grew in there infection wise, it's pretty cold in cleveland, and the top of the pot froze up... i thought about retrieving a tote box and filling it with cold water after hour two, but see above paragraph about not even wanting to sanitize the chiller

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #16
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Most of us sanitize the chiller by dropping it in the pot during the boil. That is as easy as it gets. You don't get much cold break during a 4 hour cooling, but if it works for you, go for it.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #17
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

From reading the rest of this thread, I'd say the oversize tub of salt water, set out early to get cold. Maybe the day before? Then, allow the wort to air cool slowly to about 160-170, since that is still too hot to get bugs started. The "danger zone" is usually qouted as 40 to 140. Then, once it aircools, you'll want to slip it into what we hope is ice water for rapid cooling into the danger zone, where yeast will go nuts...

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 02-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #18
Wi1s0nX
Recipes 

I have used the tote tub/icewater method for my last 3 brews.
A month ago when the temp was around -5*f I set 20 gal of water with a cup of salt out when I started the AG process. After I started mashing and pretty much in between each step ( after I moved to lauter tun, before 2nd batch sparge, at start of boil) i went outside and sloshed the solution around to keep it from freezing. By the time I had finished the boil, the water had made a nice salty slushy. Cooled the wort from boiling to 50df in about 45 minutes with a stir at about 20.

This last batch, I brought the tote inside when I started brewing (still frozen solid) and put them in the shower to thaw. At the end of the boil, they were half water/half ice and I saw similar cooling times.

-e

Old 02-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #19
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
By the way, you can still use your IC if you get yourself a cheap pond/aquarium pump. Then you can bring a bucket of icewater to your pot instead of worrying about your frozen outdoor spigot. This cools incredibly fast too.
I second that - I ran this setup for my last batch and was at pitching temp in about 20 minutes, even though the pump didn't come close to the flow rate of a hose hook-up from outside. Next time i'll salt the water and really get 'er going.

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Old 02-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #20
Ruy Lopez
Recipes 

Why don't you just get an adapter for your sink so you can hook a hose up to it? You might already have one if you use a bottle washer. Run the hose to your garage. Run the waste hose back to a sink or outside.

Pray for the mercy and patience of your wife/fiancé.

Quick Reply