Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Using wild hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
ImperialStout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Using wild hops

Found some wild hops. Two questions: How to identify them without having them analyzed and how to know when they are ready to be picked. Plan to use them as flavoring hops as research tells me wild hops are low in alpha acids. Photo attached.

043.jpg  

"Ask not what your country can brew for you ; ask what you can brew for your country."

"ich braute dieses Bier mit meinem Hund" (Life is indeed short: Get a Beagle and a Beer

Nohup Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Nohup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is really amazing. A wild hop plant... I found a wild strawberry one time, but this totally beats that.

Good plan using it as a late flavor hop. You can't be sure of the AA, so bittering with it is out.
Throw them into a light ale, so the flavor can come through.

If you have a good number of them, you can sacrifice one or two by mashing them up between your palms. That smell will match pretty close what their flavor will be.
Let us know what they smell like. (Who knows, if it's good, grab a rhizome off the original, start a new line)

very cool find.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply