Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Using Vienna malt as base malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 03:06 AM   #1
fungusamungas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using Vienna malt as base malt

I brew partial mash due to space and heating constraints, my brew method is as follows; I usually use pilnser malt as a base malt then throw in some other grains. My ratio is around 7lb grains 4 lbs DME. I put in about 2 gal of water in pot and put the grains in a big ol grain bag. the bag barely fits in the pot! Protien rest at 135 and raise temp to 155. I use an oven preheated to warm, 160 degrees and per iodine test have always mashed out. Then I put the grain bag on a collender, heat some sparge water to 170 and pour over grain bag until about 3 gallons in pot , then boil. I only add DME after boil is done, I dont believe in boiling DME as it has had the hell boiled out of it to turn it into powder.
Anyway,
Searching the web I've been reading that one can use Munich as a base malt. I just made a Vienna lager, 5 lb pilsner malt, 1/2 lb special B. 1/2 lb aromatic and 4 lbs DME, it's still in primary. Now I'm thinking of 5lb of Munich instead of regular base malt.
I'm also going to do a schwarzbier, black lager and maybe use Maris otter as base malt, with some chocolate and special B instead of 2 row or pilsner.
Yeah, I love lagers, not into ales so much. If you have had experience with using base malts other then two row, please let me know!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
fungusamungas
Recipes 

I meant to write using Munich malt as base malt, I got to remember to proof read!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:12 AM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 588 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 222

The more Vienna I add to an AG recipe, the "thicker" the beer seems to be. Not so much "malty" as just thick. I dinno. Maybe the Vienna just doesn't ferment quite as dry as a 2-row or pilsner.

I think it will depend on what flavor and mouth-feel you're looking for. If you want a drier, crisper beer, I'd hesitate to use Vienna as a base.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think partial mashing 5lbs of Munich would be fine. You might not want to use Munich extract, that might be too much.

I am not sure if you check your efficiency, but if you use all Munich you might not get great conversion. A combination of Munich and 2-row or pilsner would probably result in better conversion.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

I've used three pounds of Munich in an IPA that was very well-received, came out great. Doubt I would use much more than that except in a bock or something else that really calls for it. But, for bocks, dopplebocks, and the like, you can use Munich as your base malt, although you'll often use a little bit of pils malt as well for "insurance" since Munich doesn't have quite as many enzymes (enough, but if you're decocting and killing some off...).

But, I think you can be fairly aggressive with Munich, moresom than I see reflected in lots of recipes. I see a lot with like six ounces, and I wonder what the point is.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
But, I think you can be fairly aggressive with Munich, moresom than I see reflected in lots of recipes. I see a lot with like six ounces, and I wonder what the point is.
Yeah you can add substantial amounts of Munich. It is a great style of malt imo. Small amounts are going to be hard to notice.

In addition be careful as some maltsters have some very low diastatic numbers for their Munich....Briess in particular is really low. Vienna on the other hand is usually really high in dp.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:41 AM   #7
fungusamungas
Recipes 

Much obliged for all the help, I'll use this info when I brew my next Vienna!

Old 05-30-2007, 03:16 AM   #8
uwmgdman

Recipes 

I do PM for all my brews. I've done a PM with all Munich and crystal, with XLDME late extract addition.........turned out great for an IPA.

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Quick Reply