Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > using RO water + all grain = some kind of water profile?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #21
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The RO profile in Bru'n Water represents a typical product water from a home RO unit that has its feed water pre-softened with an ion-exchange water softener (salt water). This arrangement is a typical recommendation for home RO installation in areas with high hardness in order to reduce membrane fouling. That is one reason why the sodium content is a little higher, but even if the feed water was a typical hard water, the sodium content may still be slightly high since the monovalent sodium ions can pass more easily through the membrane.

The Ca and Mg content can be considered typical, the Na content is probably slightly higher than typical, but then you're only talking about a difference of 2 or 3 ppm.

The RO profile is included in Bru'n Water to illustrate that RO water is not ion free, but it has very low ionic content.

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #22
remilard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
Many of the 'grocery store' RO water units don't have frequent filter changes, and thus won't be truly pure. Not saying the water is bad, but it probably isn't the ultra pure 'true RO/DI' water that needs to be reconstituted with some minerals and buffers.
The stores in my area that offer RO list the TDS reading at each service date. Since I know (roughly) the TDS of the feed water, I can gauge the rejection rate. They are both doing better than the quoted rates for domestic units in the low hundreds of dollars so I wouldn't expect a better output with the kind of home unit that is cheap enough that the break even point vs buying the water would ever come.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #23
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Real world experience = brewed many good beers with RO water. Brewed many excellent beers with RO water and several minerals added back into the mix. Turns out the AJ Delange Calcium Chloride and Gypsum (as needed) is simple and effective compared to my earlier attempts at being a mad scientist.

Portland water is pretty much a clean slate without RO, and the RO as expected doesn't change the TDS count much.

Quick Reply