Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Using RO water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #21
bigbeergeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefmanV View Post
Please be careful using only RO water for consumption. Even when adding just grains the water will be missing many minerals. The problem comes on e it's consumed the body always is trying to keep a boa lance of different levels. In this case these minerals can be pulled out of our bones. One batch probably not an issue, but years of drinking fluid devoid of these important minerals can cause many health issues. There are many article lee online that speak to this, I am a nurse by trade, but don't take my word for it, please do some additional research before you start off into a life time of brewing this way.

Cheers Jim
Wow, what a bunch of silly nonsense. If the only thing you consumed in your diet was RO water you might have some health issues, but the ion/mineral rich diet we all have prevents the "stripping" of nutrients from our tissues. It all mixes together in the gut Jim!

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #22
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 24

+1 with what the Geek said. There are places all over the world that have near rainwater quality (or it is rainwater) and they are doing fine. Drinking low mineralized water is not a health risk unless your diet is also deficient in minerals. Since the bulk of our mineral intake is via our food, the quality of the water is a minor factor.

I had Jim's concerns several years ago when I first considered a RO system, but after more thought and research I found that my concerns were unfounded.

Enjoy!

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 01-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #23
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

And when it mixes with spit it isn't RO anymore.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
ReefmanV
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

This post wasn't meant to piss anyone off or high jack this thread, so this will be my last post on this topic. There is supporting data that shows that this could be an issue for some people. Lack of minerals in a diet can create or exacerbate current health issues. I only meant to bring some awareness to the topic. As Martin did. Please research this for yourself with your health concerns if any. Knowledge is king and awareness is the first step.

Ps your body doesn't produce minerals so you can spit all you'd like and it will still lack minerals. However, if you spit enough you might leave yourself a little dehydrated.

Cheers
Jim

Quick Reply