Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Using a grain bag in a mash tun.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #21
kerant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

As long as you tied off the bag opening with string you should be able to do this in a rectangular cooler also right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #22
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I use a two yard section of voile in my rectangular cooler, which is probably 22qt. Lid holds it up great during mash and it overlaps a few inches on the shorter sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #23
tim2akat2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have been thinking this same thing I have a 5 Gallon Rubbermaid drinking water cooler that was left over from a project I did many years ago it was brand new I have only used it for I think for lemonaid once and tea once it is super clean figure I can do an alll grain of around 10-11 lbs but not much more. Seeing this makes me believe my thoughts on using a bag were correct.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #24
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to mash in an extra bottling bucket, since it's cheaper than a mash tun, and I already have the bags from BIAB. If the temp holds in a metal pot, why not in a plastic bucket? Bucket from the bakery, a $4 spigot, and a $1 PVC elbow for dip tube was all it took.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #25
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87 View Post
I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to mash in an extra bottling bucket, since it's cheaper than a mash tun, and I already have the bags from BIAB. If the temp holds in a metal pot, why not in a plastic bucket? Bucket from the bakery, a $4 spigot, and a $1 PVC elbow for dip tube was all it took.
Yes, you can certainly mash in a bottling bucket. Wrap it in a few blankets or a sleeping bag to hold the heat in. You will likely lose a couple three degrees oveer the hour, so I would mash in and start 2-3 degrees high to anticipate the minor loss...say 154-155.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #26
tre9er
Recipes 

Now I want to know if there exists a bag that can line the rectangular cooler in which I mash without dead space outside of the bag? I use a 2yd section of voile now and press it all the way around the cooler walls, but no easy way to hoist and hang it is teh sucking.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
Kuhndog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Now I want to know if there exists a bag that can line the rectangular cooler in which I mash without dead space outside of the bag? I use a 2yd section of voile now and press it all the way around the cooler walls, but no easy way to hoist and hang it is teh sucking.
Awesome discussion! I'm with you on the rect cooler. Some of the larger bags would work pretty decent on cube or smaller width/length coolers. They wouldn't work so well on 48qt+ coolers because of the dead space as you mentioned.

I bought a 5 gal rubbermaid from HD the other day for about $21. I may go BIAB with that or I'm also thinking of getting a 28 qt rect and returning the 5 gal round. The 28qt isn't too wide or long but I don't think the bag will reach all the corners like it would in the 5 gal round. You have to admit - with the 5 gal round since there isn't a lot of surface space - you're bag will have an easy time in covering the bottom and thus avoiding deadspace/channeling. You're idea of getting a bigger bag or making one fits but the problem with pulling it out and hanging it exists like you stated.

Question is - biab bag vs braid.....they'll probably be close in terms of cost....the bag will work great in a round cooler....but not so good in a rect cooler....where as the braid would work decent in either...however in a 5 gal cooler - the braid may have issue with weight on it stick....or flatten too.

I hate choices...

Old 02-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #28
tre9er
Recipes 

The braid requires sparging, too, which is moving more water from vessel to vessel to vessel. With BIAB in the cooler, I just pull the bag and put it in the BK (which is heated to 175) and leave it there for 10 minutes, pull, squeeze, and dump the cooler runnings into the BK.

Also, I ordered some kevlar/rubberized high-temp gloves from Amazon to help me with squeezing the bag since I don't have a hoist setup going yet (in which case I'd just use two pan-lids and smash it).

Quote:

Quick Reply