Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Using a grain bag in a mash tun.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by cval View Post
what's the estimated efficency with this method? i usually get 72% in my cooler/mash tun but cleaning it up is a b**** and if the bag helps and i won't lose much efficency, i'd love to try it
If you are using a fine mesh bag and are only getting 72% efficiency you need to double crush your grains because the particle size it too big. With the bag you shouldn't have to worry about a stuck sparge or even lautering since the bag should be your filter instead of relying on the grain husks to form a filter bed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryred View Post
I use this method. Using my bottling bucket and sparge bag. Batch sparge getting 80% eff. Take bag to garden. Dump turn inside out and spin Gets most of the grain out. Then rinse and clean
interesting. You'd think channeling would hurt the efficiency as the grist thickens near the end of each sparge...guess it's not a huge deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I started putting a bag into my cooler mash tun when I did wheat-heavy recipes after a stuck sparge and it works great for that. I did a 5G recipe with 10lbs wheat double-ground, flowed like a champ.

I am using my existing manifold, and just drop the bag over it. I do that because the bag is a really tight fit around the top of my (round) cooler, and tends to pop off, so I wanted double protection in case the bag slipped down into the mash. It really works great...unbelievable. I get the same efficiencies...mid 70's although I don't obsess about that. The thing this has over BIAB (opinion only) if you already have a cooler tun, you don't have to try and lift heavy bags of wet grain and squeeze them and all that. It's more equipment but works great. The bag makes cleanup a little easier too, but not much. I don't use it every time, just for wheat.

[EDIT] and I would add that since I have a 5G igloo mash tun, I have always just inverted it over a 5G bucket with a trash liner to dump the grains out. I do the same when the bag is in there. So all in all it does not help me with cleanup but I see it could be helpful.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I wash my voile in the laundry, then hang it to dry. Of course, I rinse as much grain with kitchen sprayer as I can first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #15
mky375
Recipes 

I do the same thing as you as insurance that I don't get a stuck sparge. It only took one time having to empty my mash tun into my boil pot to convince me since I use a copper manifold and it was a nightmare to get it unstuck.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'm doing this right now with a wheat batch. Another benefit is not having to vorlauf...comes out clean as a whistle.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #17
payton34
Recipes 

i have been thinking about that my self, where do you get a bag big enough to mash in?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 855 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton34 View Post
i have been thinking about that my self, where do you get a bag big enough to mash in?
5 gallon paint strainer bags will be big enough but they might be hard to control in a cooler. Some homebrew stores, online or regular, may have what you want or you could sew your own from voille curtain material.

I mash in my turkey fryer with a paint strainer bag and the ones I bought that have the elastic top stretch over the rim and stay there nicely. I could use the ones I bought that have no elastic by using some kind of clip but I think I will just use them for hop strainers instead as the bags are cheap enough to be worth re-purposing.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #19
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a 10 gallon round cooler as a mash tun. It has a SS braid manifold. I had been using Deathbrewer's stovetop all grain method for quite a while. However, I live in the Midwest and we are the land of temperature extremes. I found it troublesome to keep my mash temperature steady. When I had the chance to pick up this tun for $25 on craigslist, I jumped on it!

I use a "jumbo coarse bag" often used in winemaking to line the tun. Works well for me. I do not have a grain crusher, so I depend on the store to crush. If I get my grain from my favorite place, I average around 72-75% efficiency. I'm happy with that number. Maybe someday I'll start crushing my grain and either cut back on the quantities or recalibrate and go no sparge.

I like the predictability of the insulated tun, ability to squeeze the bag, and ease of cleanup.

Cheers

Old 02-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use grain bag in the MT which allows for a finer crush at .39 for me. I get 85% consistently. I do one batch sparge then dunk the bag some in my remaining water volume in the kettle. That gets quite a bit of sugar out also. Last time i measured 1.016 in the dunk sparge water, but of course that depends on how much grain you have and the volume of water. Mine was around 9lbs and maybe 3 gallons?

Quick Reply