Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Using an Extract process for an AG brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 606 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default Using an Extract process for an AG brew

I'm pretty close to my first AG and this weekend I hope to convert my once-every-two-year turkey fryer to a brew kettle.

Question: Is AG brewing only effective if you boil the full 5 1/2 - 6 gallon volume, or can I boil less (say 3-4 gallons) and then add cool water when transferring to my Primary.

The reasons:

1) I don't have a wort chiller but I do have large enough sink in my basement to bathe the pot to a cooler temperature.
2) I'm a little hesitant to try and manage 5 gallons of hot wort from outside, through the living room and down the steps to my basement.
3) Splasing the extra 2 gallons of cold water into the fermenter always worked well towards aerating wort.

Thoughts?

Kalvin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Full boils are a natural result of the sparging process. If you only collect 3 gallons of wort, you will have left a huge percentage of the sugars behind in the mash.

What you could do until you get a chiller is a partial mash. Do maybe five or six pounds of grain, you'll collect probably three or four gallons of runnings (which will boil down to 2.5 - 3.5 gallons), which you'll then supplement with some DME or LME in the boil.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm w/ Birdman. I did partial mash for a long time, just because I didn't have a true MLT. I still do PM about 75% of the time, actually. You get alot of the benefits of AG without all the hassle you talk about.

As for aerating, I've never found adding water to be sufficient. Like a broken record, I am...but, get the $30 aeration kit from AHS. Or get the oxygenation kit if you don't mind going to the welding supply place to get o2 bottles.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-19-2007, 05:52 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

Unfortunately until you can handle 7-8 gallons of wort, you can't do 5 gallon AG batches. The sparging process always produces extra wort & has to be boiled down. The alternative is to under sparge & throw away half or more of the sugars in the grains.

Partial mashes produce very good results and you can manage them in a smaller pot.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You could split the 6 or so gallons between two pots if you wanted.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
grnich
Recipes 

I was thinking about this and wondering why you couldn't do a mash with more grain(and higher OG) to compensate for the water you add to the primary later. Still cheaper than adding extract I would think and you could still do your stovetop boils.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

You could look at some of the no-sparge techniques that have been discussed in various places, but your efficiency is going to be so low that you really aren't going to be saving much money. 50%, IIRC.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #8
grnich
Recipes 

The problem I have is that the DME in my area is crap, I haven't been able to ferment it down below 1025. If I could do a low efficiency mash with a smaller sparge, it would hold me over until i can get my hands on a wort chiller and turkey fryer, which will be soon I hope.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

To tell you the truth, I'd wait until you had the it. Stick with min mashes and steeping until you get the kit to do it. Or try a 2.5/3 gallon brew first

Quick Reply