Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Using a Drill with a Barley Crusher

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
ProfessorBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Using a Drill with a Barley Crusher

I recently got a Barley Crusher to begin crushing my own grains. It works great, but I can't figure out how to attach my drill to it. It appears to work fine, until I add the grain. Then it just spins.

One suggestion was to use a drill with a keyed chuck, but both of mine are keyless. Any ideas?

Tap #1: Smooth Brown Ale
Tap #2: Black IPA
Primary #1: India Brown Ale
Primary #2: -empty-
Secondary: -empty-
Upcoming Brews: Scottish Export, Czech Pilsner

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Mines a cheap keyless drill from harbor freight, and I don't have any issues. Put it on there, and tighten it, then REALLY crank it on. But also can you adjust the torque on the drill?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
etk29321
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I just sounds like you're not getting the chuck tight enough. Mine works just fine with a cordless dewalt drill with keyless chuck. I find on keyless chucks that the best way to get them good and tight is to hold on to the chuck and hit the power for a second (or as long as you can hold onto the chuck).

Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Afte you do it the first time (hand tight) then wrap something around it (like one of those rubber jar openers) to get a different grip and try cranking tighter. Another though, rough up the spindle a little bit with some sand paper or something, roughing it up may allow your chuck to get a better grip.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I remember having the same problem. Just try to crank it down nice and tight.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 12-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #6
blacksquid
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

The problem with the shaft is that it's only square for about 1.5cm or so, the mistake I made at first was to jam it at the end of the drill's chuck so it would only try to 'grab' the round part. The 'front' part of the chuck needs to be on that square part.

I read some ppl just filed it but for now it works well that way.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
ProfessorBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

So blacksquid, you're saying not to put it all the way into the chuck? Only put it in a little so the chuck can grab the square part?

Tap #1: Smooth Brown Ale
Tap #2: Black IPA
Primary #1: India Brown Ale
Primary #2: -empty-
Secondary: -empty-
Upcoming Brews: Scottish Export, Czech Pilsner

Old 12-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
bufitfn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Yes, line up one of the chuck "teeth" with the flat on the shaft and tighten. if needed file another flat on the shaft inline with anothe teeth on the chuck

Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Align the chuck jaws with the flat(s) of the shaft on the mill. You'll want one of the jaw 'teeth' to actually rest on the flat. Also, I never put anything all the way into a drill chuck, so that it 'bottom's out' in it. I've also never needed to go more than 'normal' tightness on the keyless chuck on my drill (DeWalt 18v cordless hammer drill). Trying to over-tighten it can actually damage the drill. Or make it a total pain to try and remove after you're done.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I haven't had a problem using my dewalt on it personally. What speed are you all crushing at. I tried full speed and it crushed 10 lbs in under a minute and I have also tried half of the slow speed and it took about 10 minutes, but no difference in crush that I could notice. Maybe less flour but I biab so it really doesn't matter to me.

Quick Reply