New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > using cocoa nibs and vanilla beans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Righlander
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default using cocoa nibs and vanilla beans

hey guys, i'm getting ready to brew a stout and i'm going to want to use cocoa nibs and vanilla beans. im just curious as to the proper methods of using them. i was thinking to add the cocoa nibs at the last ten minutes of the boil. is this a bad idea? also i was thinking with the vanilla beans i would bring them to a boil in some water to sanitize and then add them like a dry hop addition. your thoughts please

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
asterix404
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I will tell you about cocoa nibs, if you siphon you will have so many problems. For me, they all just clogged my siphon. Anyway, add them at knock out and let them sit. For the vanilla... you don't want boil them. I have heard of them washed in vodka and added to either the primary or secondary but I have never done this.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righlander
hey guys, i'm getting ready to brew a stout and i'm going to want to use cocoa nibs and vanilla beans. im just curious as to the proper methods of using them. i was thinking to add the cocoa nibs at the last ten minutes of the boil. is this a bad idea? also i was thinking with the vanilla beans i would bring them to a boil in some water to sanitize and then add them like a dry hop addition. your thoughts please
Most people put cocoa nibs in secondary, and I'd recommend putting them in a bag like dry hopping.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Aunt_Ester
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I put 4oz of cocoa nibs in the secondary and the flavor didn't stand out very much. I was advised to soak them in vodka for 24 hours prior and dump the entire solution in. I have plans to do it this weekend. I'll let you know in a week.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
BSBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've done both in a stout (which took gold in specialty category and silver for best of show in NJ state fair comp) - in the secondary - 2oz of HIGH quality nibs and 2 vanilla beans - all flavors came through nicely after 7-10 days

On the journey from home brewing to brewery...follow our progress below:

BoleroSnort.com|Twitter|Facebook

Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

I add both the vanilla bean guts and cocoa nibs directly to the secondary without any sanitation issues. 4 oz of coco nibs for 2 weeks really came through nicely.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
ETCS
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

I was at my LHBS the other day, buying ingredients for a Choc. Milk Stout. As I was talking to Paul (The owner and long time brewer) about me recipe, I mentioned that I was thinking about adding Cocoa nibs in the secondary. He mentioned that one thing to be aware of is that Cocao nibs have fat in them, and will kill the head in your beer. I have some and also have some Chocolate extract. The beer is still in primary (3 weeks) and can't decide to rack to secondary on the nibs or keg from primary next weekend and use the chocolate extract. Any others want to weigh in on this?

Brewers make wort, Yeast make beer!!!!

Old 11-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
AleFred
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

sure todays my official tasting day of my first ag beer a "Chocolate Oatmeal Stout" i added 2 oz to the boil 1oz at 10 and 5 then another 2ozs mostly crushed up and marinated with some grey goose, not much goose at first just enough to soak all the nibs..cover the cup with foil and swirl let it sit for at least a day and you ll notice the nibs have soaked up the booze , at that point added a bit more goose to reach a slurry like consistency. popped open the fermenter and poured it...2 weeks later bottled and had zero syphoning issues..3 weeks later in the bottle today and the beer has a decent head that lasts and an amazing chocolate taste

Old 11-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
ETCS
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleFred View Post
3 weeks later in the bottle today and the beer has a decent head that lasts and an amazing chocolate taste

Thanks....I didn't put any in the boil, but I will try the vodka method and see how things turn out. Maybe, I'll soak them in vodka, strain and then add as I transfer to the keg.

Brewers make wort, Yeast make beer!!!!

Old 11-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
beng
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dont boil the vanilla beans! No need to sanitize them, just simply chop them up and place in about 1/2 oz of vodka for a day or so, and put them in the secondary, might want to put them in a bag that you can remove later when you think you have the vanilla flavor you are seeking. I suggest 1-2 depending on the strength/body of the brew.

Try www.beanilla.com I suggest the Madagascar vanilla beans.

Quick Reply