Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > The "Using Cereal Grain Adjuncts" Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
sonvolt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default The "Using Cereal Grain Adjuncts" Thread

Can we get a thread devoted solely to the use of cereal grains as adjuncts. By this I mean we talk about how to use certain cereal grains - oats, rice, corn, etc., but we talk not only about techniques, but also recipes, etc.

The only cereal grain I have used is oats. I used the Quaker Old Fashioned Oats . . . which, I believe, is the same thing as flaked oats. I put about a pound of them into my mash when I make my oatmeal stout.

Here are some questions/thoughts to get us started.

What are the best techniques for using certain cereal adjuncts - mashing, gelatinizing, decocting, etc. ???

What styles call for each cereal adjunct? Oats for Stouts, Corn for Cream Ales, etc.

How pleased/dissatisfied have you been using this stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
Jeff Meyers
Recipes 

The easiest way to use rice in all grain mashes is to use Minute Rice.

No milling....no precooking....just put in mash when you dough in.

I use minute rice in my light american lagers. Gravity potential is around 1.035 pppg.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Meyers

I use minute rice in my light american lagers. Gravity potential is around 1.035 pppg.
Would you mind posting a recipe to give some idea about how much Minute Rice you put into a 5 gallon beer. I am not sure how to use that 1.035pppg to figure out how it would affect the gravity of my wort. Does promash have #s for stuff like this?

Old 12-06-2006, 12:23 AM   #4
BBboomer
Recipes 

I am getting ready to make my first oatmeal stout and have a couple of questions.
Are Quaker oats and flaked oats the same or should I get the flaked oats from my LHBS? Finally do I need to do any preparation to the oats or just add them to the mash?
Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Darrell

Old 12-06-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBboomer
I am getting ready to make my first oatmeal stout and have a couple of questions.
Are Quaker oats and flaked oats the same or should I get the flaked oats from my LHBS? Finally do I need to do any preparation to the oats or just add them to the mash?
Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Darrell
I think that they are the same thing, although you should get the Old Fashioned Oats rather than the quick oats, IMO. I don't do anything to prepare them, I just mash them in.

Quick Reply