Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Useless oats!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1014 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 2688

Default Useless oats!

I'm new at brewing, and I just discovered that my rolled oats are useless if I don't mash them. I'm only an extract/steep brewer at the moment. I'd be willing to try partial mash with this batch if it's possible. Is Crystal 50-60L considered a 2 row? If so, can I use it to partial mash with? I have 1lb of crystal 50-60 and 1/2 lb of oats... Are these amounts doable? Here's my grain list in case something else will work;

1lb Crystal 50-60L
1lb Extra special pale
1/2lb Lt. Roasted Barley
1/4lb Organic Chocolate
1/2lb rolled oats

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Crystal is most certainly not a base-malt and doesn't even require mashing... however, rolled oats/wheat/rye/etc do very much require mashing.

You need to get yourself some 2-row for a partial mash, or at least a base-grain (i.e. has mash enzymes) like vienna or munich

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 12-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, I had a feeling of that... I have no way of getting the grains I need in time. I suppose I'll leave the oats out. Unless there is some other way to incorporate them, but as I read I don't think there is. I don't want haze or starch, so I suppose I shouldn't steep them. If my yeast starter wasn't already chugging away, I'd put this batch on the shelf untill I could ship in the grains. Since my starter is ready (and active) I'll just brew without the oats.. I'm hoping it won't matter all that much.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
mcaple1
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

It sounds like you need to get a better understanding on base malts, specialty grains, and adjuncts before you really dive much further into all-grain brewing. It's just like any hobby....you wouldn't go skydiving the first time without going tandem right. You need to learn everything that applies to YOU and your hobby before jumping.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm not actually doing all grain at all. I'm doing extract/steep brewing, and I thought I could steep all of the grains (including the oats). The above mentioned list of grains is not my entire recipe. It's only the grain bill.. I'm also using 6lbs dark lme. I'm new at brewing in general, and I got the impression that my recipe was extract/steep. I'm starting to think it was meant to be a Partial Mash. I do agree that I need to learn about malts, grains, etc. I just didn't think it would be today! So, with all of this being said, CAN I just steep these grains (excluding the oats) and still get a decent brew? Here's the actual recipe;

5 gal.
2.5 gal boil
6lb Dark LME (15 mins)
1lb Crystal 50-60L
1lb Extra special pale
1/2lb Lt. Roasted Barley
1/4lb Organic Chocolate
1/2lb rolled oats
1oz UK Fuggle (60 min)
1/2oz Northern Brewer (30 min)
1/2 to 3/4C Dark, fat free cocoa powder (10 min)
WLP002 English Ale Yeast
OG 1.049
FG 1.012

Old 12-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
mcaple1
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Ok....perhaps I am mispeaking, but when I did extract brewing back in the day, I would use flaked oats as a steeping grain....NOT for its extract potential since I wasn't mashing, but for its body enhancing characteristics for my stouts and porters. I assume that rolled oats will have the same affect, so don't toss 'em....just dont expect any fermentable sugars to come from it.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Steeping oats is not ideal but that doesn't stop it from being a common practice that many brewers are o.k. with. What it contributes when steeped is a subject of debate. In this case, you're talking about a half pound. You're fine.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Paul07293
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I've never seen it but I think extra special pale sounds like it may need to be mashed. If so you could do a cereal mash with the oats and mix with the pale for a mini mash. The rest of the grains could be steeped separately.

"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer."- Homer Simpson

Old 12-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
corkybstewart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaple1 View Post
Ok....perhaps I am mispeaking, but when I did extract brewing back in the day, I would use flaked oats as a steeping grain....NOT for its extract potential since I wasn't mashing, but for its body enhancing characteristics for my stouts and porters. I assume that rolled oats will have the same affect, so don't toss 'em....just dont expect any fermentable sugars to come from it.
back in the early 90's I also used rolled oats in my extract days, but I boiled them like a cereal mash and used the liquid(and ate the oatmeal for breakfast). What a horrible mess it always was but my favorite beer was oatmeal stout. Why I did that or where I got that idea I have no clue, but I must have read it somewhere.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
5 gal.
2.5 gal boil
6lb Dark LME (15 mins)
1lb Crystal 50-60L
1lb Extra special pale
1/2lb Lt. Roasted Barley
1/4lb Organic Chocolate
1/2lb rolled oats
1oz UK Fuggle (60 min)
1/2oz Northern Brewer (30 min)
1/2 to 3/4C Dark, fat free cocoa powder (10 min)
WLP002 English Ale Yeast
OG 1.049
FG 1.012
I suspect the Extra Special Pale Malt (I assume it is a grain), is either 2-row or a Pale Malt, that you can use to convert the oats.

You have 3.25 lbs of grain (I assume the Organic Chocolate is a grain and not actual chocolate). Add the grains to 1 gallon of water at 160 F. Stir well. The temperature should drop to 150 F. Maintain the temperature between 150 to 155 F for 45 minutes. Raise the temperature to 170 F and remove the grains. Rinse the grains with more 170 F water to get as much of the sugars out as possible, then brew.

You can use a 5 gallon paint bag to hold the grain (available from a hardware store), and it will make it easy to get the grain out of the pot.

Quick Reply