Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Urgent help needed! Have I ruined my brew!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Adam's Apples
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Urgent help needed! Have I ruined my brew!!!

Ok, brew day was going so well, until I f**ked up big time, I think!

I was supposed to add some brewing salts (added to increase the calcium level of my mash water) to the grist in my mash tun, but added 7 grams (0.25oz) of my cleaning powder - TSP (tri-sodium phosphate solution) - instead.

Will this kill my beer! As I'm boiling the wort anyway, will this be ok, or should I ditch it!

Please help.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2521 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 5683

Well, unfortunately the TSP isn't going to boil away and it's going to raise the pH of your mash, so I don't how that's going to affect it. At the very least, it'll probably taste a bit soapy. Sorry to hear about that.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 11-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Man, I don't know. Pull a sample and see if it's noticeable.

I'm seeing a trend here with people putting the wrong stuff in their brews these days. A few ziplock baggies and a Sharpie™ ahead of time would probably help avoid these mistakes. Review your recipe well before cracking open any beer for yourself. Have your ingredients pre-measured and marked with both contents and times for additions. Lay these ingredients out in order that they are to be used. Have a copy of your brew instructions printed out and at hand while you brew. Don't get too trashed before you pitch.

( Not trying to insinuate the OP is/was trashed here, just saying...)

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 11-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Has anyone checked the TSP container...isn't TSP poisonous if ingested???

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2521 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 5683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Has anyone checked the TSP container...isn't TSP poisonous if ingested???
It won't kill you, if that's what you mean. It'll be varying degrees of unpleasant, depending on how much you ingest, but it won't kill you, especially at only 7 grams in 5 gallons.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 11-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Do not taste the beer. This is very bad on the body!
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222)
tri-sodium phosphates: Trisodium phosphate poisoning

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 11-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like pulling a sample is a bad idea...
I stand corrected. I didn't say to swallow though.
Sorry about your brew, and I stand by the rest of the advice.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 11-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

I vote for dumping it...it ain't worth it...

and for god sakes switch to a cleaner like oxyclean or something like pbw that is meant to be used around food preparation....

It's the 21st century, we don't need to use such oldschool stuff anymore when there are plenty of products that we know is safe to use.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm with the other users here. Sadly, you should write this one off as a bad experience and not continue further. Switch to something made to be used around food prep. Why take the chance?
Accidents happen. You shouldn't have to pay long-term, don't let this batch go any further.
I lay out my ingredients/steps side-by-side in the order of which they get used (for additions, etc) -and pre-measure and put in zip-locks (with labels) everything that gets pitched. It makes for a much nicer brewday experience (I pre-measure and ziplock before brewday -as brewday is always much to busy to clutter up further with this kind of thing) -then I set the pot(s) on the burner (s), pull a big stein full of my favorite draft, and set to brewing.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbiker View Post
I lay out my ingredients/steps side-by-side in the order of which they get used (for additions, etc) -and pre-measure and put in zip-locks (with labels) everything that gets pitched. It makes for a much nicer brewday experience (I pre-measure and ziplock before brewday -as brewday is always much to busy to clutter up further with this kind of thing) -then I set the pot(s) on the burner (s), pull a big stein full of my favorite draft, and set to brewing.
It sounds like you have the perfect solution for druken brewing...pre laying everything out...

Quick Reply