Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > update of depression

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 02:45 AM   #11
Homebrewjosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'd have to agree too that Star San rocks. Just dont be afraid of the foam. When I started using it. I took allot of self control NOT to rinse to form away. But the form gets in the micro scratches are cracks to clean. Don' t feel bad. about our batching going south. Its all part of brewing.

Good luck with your future batches

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 03:04 AM   #12
Scotty_g
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

One other solution I'll throw out for your water problem is to get bottled spring water. My tap water recently changed and it has a little more chlorine in it; I don't know how much, because I've never risked it in beer.

I use spring water from the grocery store (in 1-gal sealed jugs) for everything that touches malt. I top off with freshly-sealed jugs after I wash down the lids with one-step. When I end up with partial jugs, I save them for the next boil after marking them as "unclean". (The risk of this is that people may think your brew room has leprosy.)

I second the suggestion of getting at least an immersion cooler, too. After we ran out of ice (brewpartner just grabbed a couple bags instead of letting me calculate it out) and had to use snow, we decided it would be $40 well spent. The immersion cooler means we have the lid on the pail in about 30 minutes after flame out, give or take.

Natural 20 Brewery

Yes, that *is* beer. Water, malt, hops, and yeast mean it's beer. Go ahead and try a glass...

Old 02-22-2008, 05:31 AM   #13
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok...i need some straight answers on a couple of other things...

1) is there any hope for this beer, or should I dump it? I feel so bad about it, I mostly just want it gone from my life. I can STILL smell it....yuck!!! even though I've cleaned up. it's just stuck in my brain...

2) I boiled all my brewing stuff...but my hoses turned white!!! are they ruined? on a happy note, it seemed that I got a lot of crap off the stuff - the water turned yellow - probably from boiling the grain bags mostly...

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #14
Finn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceamerica
ok...i need some straight answers on a couple of other things...

1) is there any hope for this beer, or should I dump it? I feel so bad about it, I mostly just want it gone from my life. I can STILL smell it....yuck!!! even though I've cleaned up. it's just stuck in my brain...

2) I boiled all my brewing stuff...but my hoses turned white!!! are they ruined? on a happy note, it seemed that I got a lot of crap off the stuff - the water turned yellow - probably from boiling the grain bags mostly...
Unless you desperately need the carboys empty for your next batch, I'd stash 'em in a cool place (60 degrees or so) and leave 'em for a month. Or as long as you can before you need the glass they're in. Miracles do happen and you'd be surprised some of the nasty flavors yeast will pull out of the beer over time. Man, you should have tasted my dry stout two days into fermentation ...!

Don't worry about the white hoses either. Mine are like that too. I should mention, though, I ruined a bottling wand boiling it -- it curved to match the shape of the pot.
On tap:Wilhoit Springs Bitter; Mac Cumhaill Breis Tiubh Stout; cider; soda water

Old 02-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #15
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the advice - I think I'll bite the bullet and bottle the batch & leave it for a month before trying it - do you think this will be as good as leaving it in the carboy? Probably....I'll leave the tip off the bottling wand to get as much yeast in as I can (I've already racked it...) I need the carboy soon, because I want to get a decent batch brewed.

I think I'll go ahead and replace the hoses anyway - they've been around too long as it is.

here's to yeast !!! and my prayer for these two batches...

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Quick Reply