New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Unmalted wheat question *Please help*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
billk911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Unmalted wheat question *Please help*

I am going to do a Wit with unmalted wheat. With the wheat would it be best to just do a rest at say 152 for a half an hour with the wheat alone and then boil it for a while, just mash it using steps or just boil it for 30 to 60 minutes. It seems that there are a ton of different ways people do things. My plan as of now is to rest the wheat by itself at 152 and then boil it for 30 minutes. Then I was going to add it to a just created mash witht he 6-row malt. Also, how much water do I use in the wheat. I was just going to split up the water amounts I would use for the 6 row ( and rice hulls ) by itself and use the rest of the mash water + boil off in the unmalted wheat. !!!!Please help!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Is it just raw, unmalted wheat or flaked? If it's flaked, just run it in a regular single infusion mash. If it's unmalted, dough in with the 6-row (2 row will be fine if it's less than 50% wheat) at a 120F protein rest for 20 minutes, then hit the 152 after that for 45 minutes.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 08-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
Dixon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just did a wheat with 3lbs unmalted red wheat in it. Single infusion at 151. Seemed to convert just fine. Next time I might let it sit a bit longer but didn't do anything else special. Cheers!

Quick Reply