Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Unhopped 'beer' question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
gschlossnagle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Unhopped 'beer' question

Hi,

First time poster.

I'm brewing a type of unhopped/unfiltered millet/corn based beer inspired by a similar homebrew made by the tribes in the hills of eastern Nepal (sort of a modern brewing technique version of jaard/tongba). In Nepal the grains are fermented 'dry' (well, moist) and then boiling water is poured onto the grains to steep out the alcohol at the time of drinking. Those 'dry' fermented grains have a 3-9 month time window. That's not how I'm doing it - I used a more traditional beer-making strategy, with no hops.

I've reached the end of fermentation, and am about to bottle it (which is not what you would do in Nepal, but so be it).

My question is around what I can do to best manage the shelf-life of this unhopped beverage, since it contains no herbs/preservatives in it. Will refrigerating it post-bottling help? Is there something else I can do that might help maintain it's shelf life?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
kevin476
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschlossnagle View Post
Hi,

First time poster.

I'm brewing a type of unhopped/unfiltered millet/corn based beer inspired by a similar homebrew made by the tribes in the hills of eastern Nepal (sort of a modern brewing technique version of jaard/tongba). In Nepal the grains are fermented 'dry' (well, moist) and then boiling water is poured onto the grains to steep out the alcohol at the time of drinking. Those 'dry' fermented grains have a 3-9 month time window. That's not how I'm doing it - I used a more traditional beer-making strategy, with no hops.

I've reached the end of fermentation, and am about to bottle it (which is not what you would do in Nepal, but so be it).

My question is around what I can do to best manage the shelf-life of this unhopped beverage, since it contains no herbs/preservatives in it. Will refrigerating it post-bottling help? Is there something else I can do that might help maintain it's shelf life?
If it has alchol in it that will help I would just store it very cold. creepy crud has a hard time in the cold. Sounds interesting but love me some hops!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply