Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Under Shot Target Volume (Understatement of the Year)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Thunderous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Under Shot Target Volume (Understatement of the Year)

I under shot my target volume by more than a gallon. My OG is really high, of course. I have let it ferment for about a month and a half now and am contemplating adding water to bring my volume up.

Is there any reason not to do so? Would you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
kvess
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You should have topped it off before you pitched. If the beer is undrinkable then it cant hurt. Just make sure your water is sanitised.

The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

You should have topped it off immediately when you discovered you overshot your volume. It happens all the time. When you calculate your gravity of your current volume and you then use the dillution tool in beersmith to calculate the gravity after toppiing it off with the amount of water you are missing, you almost always come back to what the original gravity should be. I've topped off when necessary and the beer indeed has turned out fine.

Your beer is exactly stronger by the amount of water you are missing, same if you have to high a volume of water, your beer is exactly weekend by the amount of water you over shot. You can fix that by boiling further to concentrate the wort.

Now, I'd leave it, and drink the stronger beer, and chalk it up to next time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 383 Posts
Likes Given: 417

How's it taste? If you like it as is, bottle it up and call it done.

You can also dilute post-fermentation, but it'd be easy to mess it up.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Thunderous
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks team!

Quick Reply