Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > uncarbed Imp Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Dougie63
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default uncarbed Imp Stout

I made an imperial stout 1.090 og notty yeast fermented out to 1.022 added 3/4 cup sugar (corn) and waited 30 days popped one open and was flat waited another month still flat popped all and added 1/10 tsp of us05 to each bottle and recapped 3 weeks later flat any suggestions? I dont want to keep uncapping and risking flavor changes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 38

What temp is it sitting at? How long did you let it sit before bottling?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
TopherM
BJCP ID: F0838
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 23

ABV exponentially increases carb time. It's not unusual for something like a 1.090 ABV stout to take 2-3 months to carb at room temp.

You may just have to wait this one out.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2796 Times on 1671 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Topher nailed it. The higher the gravity the longer it takes, especially if you didn't add fresh yeast. I had a 1.090 beer that didn't fully carb and condition for 6 months.

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
ABV exponentially increases carb time. It's not unusual for something like a 1.090 ABV stout to take 2-3 months to carb at room temp.

You may just have to wait this one out.
I don't understand why people keep saying this. If you do things correctly, it only takes a week or two to carb up any beer. I have carbed up 10% + ABV beers in less than two weeks many times. You really need to pitch fresh yeast on big beers. Hold them at 70-75F for two weeks and crack one. It will be carbonated.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Topher nailed it. The higher the gravity the longer it takes, especially if you didn't add fresh yeast. I had a 1.090 beer that didn't fully carb and condition for 6 months.

Lazy Llama came up with a handy dandy chart to determine how long something takes in brewing, whether it's fermentation, carbonation, bottle conditioning....

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Once again, way to make someone feel like a moron with a blatantly condescending post....

Brewers could take your approach and just sit and wait, and wait, and wait.... Or, they could do things the right way and get better results. To each their own I guess....

Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Elaelap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I actually like the chart, and it's pretty clear! Nice art work!

Old 02-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Dolomieu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaelap View Post
I actually like the chart, and it's pretty clear! Nice art work!
+1
I may have to make copies of that for my homebrew club. Also i like how revvy offered advice as opposed to assuming the op did not do things correctly or the right way.

Draft beer, Not me!!! - Belching Penguin

Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolomieu View Post
+1
I may have to make copies of that for my homebrew club. Also i like how revvy offered advice as opposed to assuming the op did not do things correctly or the right way.
Maybe you missed my first post. Anyone can offer their opinion, but to give someone the correct advice don't you think you should know the whole story before just throwing out a blanket statement?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you didn't repitch yeast and added dry yeast to a beer at the ABV it probably dies from shock. I usually repitch a starter on my bigger beers and generally have had sucesses carbing. There have been a few that have given me trouble despite doing that but I would just leave it like Reevy says and come back to it in like 6 months.... if after like a year just pour it into a keg and drink it fast!

Quick Reply