Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Ultra dry porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
Wing Nut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ultra dry porter

Hey all I brewed my first all grain batch on my new HERMS rig I used the wurzels coconut porter recipe. The brew day went pear shaped when I had a problem with the false bottom I used, It collapsed and I was unable to reticulate wort. This made bumping up the temperature very difficult. All said and done it was at 125 for nearly 40 min before I could get it up too 158. So I had too scoop out the mash into my old cooler lauter tun and finish it that way. The OG was a little high at 1.060 It fermented really quick, the krausen dropped overnight and by the third day the hydrometer was down to 1.011. So I racked it to the secondary and added the toasted coconut.

As always I tasted the mid steam flow and was surprised by the complete lack of body it was very thin. I suppose the toasted coconut will bring in a little more body but I would like a little more silky mouth feel. I was thinking of mashing out a couple pounds of oatmeal to add some unfermentables. What do you all think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
robtotten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You could always add half a pound of maltodextrine, that will add body.

if god wanted us to drink beer, she would have given us stomachs

Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtotten View Post
You could always add half a pound of maltodextrine, that will add body.
+1 i would go this route as well!

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Quick Reply