HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Are u irritated by complex recipes like i am?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #71
GrogNerd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 722 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
At least on my digital scale, I find that one pellet is 0.05oz. So 0.17oz would be about three pellets.
I use three pellets when I brew a yeast starter.
No real point... just coincidental observation.
at that scale, I could see where 3 pellets would make a difference.

wait...

you HOP your starter?
that's a first; I'm a n00b and have never heard that before

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: Sweetpea's Mock Maibock, DB 8 Point IPA Clone, Witless Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Czech Pilsner, CLB's Red Barleywine, 8 Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine - bulk conditioning: barleywine - primary: session IPA

Chriso Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #72
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For the record, there is NO reason to hop a starter.

For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 12-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #73
GrogNerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodm View Post
For the record, there is NO reason to hop a starter.
haha... just effin' with me? maybe it's a 1L batch and he misspoke?

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: Sweetpea's Mock Maibock, DB 8 Point IPA Clone, Witless Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Czech Pilsner, CLB's Red Barleywine, 8 Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine - bulk conditioning: barleywine - primary: session IPA

Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #74
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 124

No mis-speak here. I hop my starters. As mentioned, barely hopped at all, but I do. Basically pursuing the idea that you want your yeast to "grow up" eating foods as close to what they'll eat in their adult life plus you get a very mild disinfectant quality to boot. Zero sources to give you, it's just something I've done since I started in '07. (That said, I tend to very rarely make starters in the first place, I'm more frequently one of those chuck-the-packet-of-dry-yeast-in-without-even-hydrating-it people.)

This thread ( http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/hops-yeast-starter-2013/ ) seems to back up your position of 'it doesn't matter'. I just happen to have an open bag of high-AA Sorachi Ace from many, many brew days ago, that is in a ziploc and not a vacuum bag. So it's easy to open, pinch three pellets, and shut it again. (Of course, the sack is probably gone cheesy by now, it's been open for at least a year.)

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #75
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I want to say that Uncle Charlie told us to hop our starters back in the day with Complete Joy of Homebrewing. The idea being (I guess) that a little hops will block lacto from forming in the starter maybe?

I usually do Real Wort Starters, diluted to near 1.040 if necessary, but occasionally if I'm boiling up some DME for a starter, I'll throw in some mystery pellets from the freezer. Superstition maybe.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 12-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #76
GrogNerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
No mis-speak here. I hop my starters. As mentioned, barely hopped at all, but I do. Basically pursuing the idea that you want your yeast to "grow up" eating foods as close to what they'll eat in their adult life plus you get a very mild disinfectant quality to boot. Zero sources to give you, it's just something I've done since I started in '07. (That said, I tend to very rarely make starters in the first place, I'm more frequently one of those chuck-the-packet-of-dry-yeast-in-without-even-hydrating-it people.)

This thread ( http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/hops-yeast-starter-2013/ ) seems to back up your position of 'it doesn't matter'. I just happen to have an open bag of high-AA Sorachi Ace from many, many brew days ago, that is in a ziploc and not a vacuum bag. So it's easy to open, pinch three pellets, and shut it again. (Of course, the sack is probably gone cheesy by now, it's been open for at least a year.)
the reasoning is sound, I had just never heard of that before. I am heading to the "What did you learn today?" threads

and I just used Sorachi Ace for the first time as a dry hop in my AIPA. Hard to believe completely flat beer could taste so good. I almost didn't want to bottle it, just wanted to drink it all right then. the next 18 days will be torture

Old 12-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #77
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 144

There's a rich beauty to simple beers. The pinnacle of achievement in my mind is Duvel.
One malt,
Two hop additions. One at 75 min, one at 30 min.
Dextrose.

Now the fermentation is anything but simple, but their inputs are Amazing. Surly Hell is another simple, clean beer.

Nothing wrong with a complex beer at all. But I love a beer that blows you away with its simplicity. Especially when you open one and think "my god how did they do this?" Then to discover its a one sentence recipe.

Sierra Pale Ale is another one. What a fantastic beer with a simple recipe.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #78
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yes.

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 12-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #79
chuckstout
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 195

No, I love some mogul madness

Old 12-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #80
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
There's a rich beauty to simple beers. The pinnacle of achievement in my mind is Duvel.
One malt,
Two hop additions. One at 75 min, one at 30 min.
Dextrose.

Now the fermentation is anything but simple, but their inputs are Amazing. Surly Hell is another simple, clean beer.

Nothing wrong with a complex beer at all. But I love a beer that blows you away with its simplicity. Especially when you open one and think "my god how did they do this?" Then to discover its a one sentence recipe.

Sierra Pale Ale is another one. What a fantastic beer with a simple recipe.
Agree with this--there's something beautiful about a beer with simple ingredients where the process really shines through. I think about my weissenbocks, that get the traditional triple decoction treatment and oh boy, are they amazing...complex, huge mouthfeel, spicy. And they've got (usually) two types of grain, one hop addition, and that's all.

Again, not to say this is the ONLY thing that's worthwhile in making beer. That RIS with several different layers of crystal and roasted flavor, plus flaked oats, with a complex hop schedule, plus vanilla bourbon soaked oak chips, is also a revelation of flavors, aromas and texture. There are many roads to the promised land, brothers and sisters!

For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Quick Reply