The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Are u irritated by complex recipes like i am?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 670 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
Well if Bells Double Cream Stout, which touts 10 grains, is a science project...........just yum. I'm guilty of a 9 grain wannabe/science project in the fermenter right now, lol. Hope it's somewhere close. I shoulda thrown the Special B in just to make the numbers match. But I got two SMaSH's bottled up as well. So many ways to make good beer........
How about Batch 10,000? From the Bell's website: "We combed through the catalogs of many malt and hop suppliers to source 100 different malts, grains, and other fermentables. This is balanced by the addition of 60 different hop varietals between the kettle and dry hopping."

I guess I'm not irritated by complex recipes where there's a definite purpose to everything. There are, however, some recipes that that kind of come across as the "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" variety and things are thrown in just for the sake of having them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
alane1
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 91

sometimes recipes with complex weights and mesurements are converted from kg./gm. to lbs/ozs or vice versa don't get upset by it, just round off.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I keep brewing the same basic recipe over and over. I dropped all the .25 this and that after batch 2. You just don't get any real difference when you add a very small amount of white wheat or whatever. Maybe something, but there are so many variables.

That said, D2 syrup, yeasts, heavy roast malts, high AA hops, Cascade vs Noble hops, etc definitely make a difference and are noticable. Adding some rye was very noticable to mouthfeel and taste.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Too complex a malt bill and you risk not detecting the subtle additions that additive malts make.

that'll be two cents.

Jake in Toledo

Primary: Privateer English Pale Ale
Kegged: VEE HAFF VAYS AUF MAKING YOU TALK LOUDLY Dunkel
Bottled: Pacific Pride (American) Pale Ale

PowPow Likes This 
Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
germanmade84
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Komodo and jake.... you said it all, i see that im mot the only one who feels this way. U need to see majorly clear issues to make adjustments, and its just not possible with 14 different grains and 27 hops.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #16
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

27 hops sounds kickass.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #17
Sardoth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sometimes there are good reasons for complex grain bills. Like when you layer your Carmel Crystal malts to create a real taste depth in a Scottish Ale. I do think overall your right, I've seen IPA's with huge pointless complex ingredient lists... But there are some times in certain classes of beers when you can create a real depth and it means something.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:49 AM   #18
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 469

A simple recipe is the best recipe....except when it isn't! Not every recipe needs a lot of ingredients, but some of them do. Personally, I find a lot of SMASH beers insipid and boring. The point is to use any and all ingredients it. takes to make the beer YOU want to make, but be sure that every one of them is contributing something to the beer. You need to be able to identify and justify each one.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

People Like This 
Old 12-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #19
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2521 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 5683

I'll borrow a term finance to explain my feelings about complexity of grain bills: Return on Investment (ROI). As others have said, if there is a clear and justifiable reason for an ingredient then it's worth it. I've brewed great great SMaSHs and I've brewed great 5+ grain beers. As long as the finished product reflects the intent of the recipe, then there is a positive ROI, IMO.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 12-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #20
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I mean, it'd be silly to use four kinds of roasted malt in a stout.
Yooper, not to be a contrarian here but.... while I fully agree with you on your justification of complex hops, where desired, I beg to differ with your comment on malt. I love simplicity in an IPA malt bill but I also brew an "Old Rasputin" clone that has 4 roasted malts (Chocolate, Roasted Barley, Brown Malt and Caramel 120). Throw in a couple others in addition to base malt and about 100 IBU of hops and you have a complex bitter chocolate coffee flavor that is amazing. This is one of my favorite recipes. It sounds crazy but it reproduces the malt profile of Old Rasputin. Have I tried it without all the malts? No. Would I bother, probably not. Just my $0.02. Do what works for you.

Quick Reply