Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Are u irritated by complex recipes like i am?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #101
homebrewdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Meh. The only thing that really irritates me is the *mass* of people posting recipes before they've even ever brewed them. I'm more than capable of putting together my own recipes, but it makes it a bit difficult for anyone to find solid recipes, or for people to have their *actually* tried-and-true recipes noticed. It's most irritating when people post their CLONE recipes without ever having even brewed them... they don't even know if it'll actually turn out anything like the commercial beer they're trying to clone. It's a common practice, but it just blows me away...
This is the only recipe aspect that annoys me. If somebody wants to use multiple grain, multiple hops... why exactly is that bad, if the beer is good?

But yeah, it's a major pain to try to find a good recipe of a given style - especially if you are trying to do a clone - since you have to sift through so many untested postings.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #102
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 18

NHC presentation about the beauty of brewing simply:

Old 12-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #103
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I forgot what IPA it was i was looking at..its a clone of one of the really good ones...

That does continuous hopping throughout the entire boil pretty much...havent done it yet but it seems like a ton of work slowly pouring hops in every minute lol.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #104
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
I forgot what IPA it was i was looking at..its a clone of one of the really good ones...

That does continuous hopping throughout the entire boil pretty much...havent done it yet but it seems like a ton of work slowly pouring hops in every minute lol.
My DFH 60 clone uses continuous hopping. It's not any work at all to add a pellet or two every couple of minutes, or a few more than that, or adding some whole hops every once in a few minutes. I"m not doing anything during the boil anyway for the most part. It's not like I measured them out and am adding .015 of an ounce or anything- just tossing them in willy nilly until the timer hits 0.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #105
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Yep, you can make amazing beers with a very simple recipe. It's like baking. Know how many amazing things you can make with flour, eggs, and sugar?
This is half right. How different is cheesecake from brownies, cake, pancakes, bread, etc. The details are the whole point. Take a cookie for example. Peanut butter and chocolate chip are Not the same. lol.

I dont think the OP was saying so much that the beers are getting to complex in types or numbers of ingredients but rather the obscure and sometimes negligable amounts and addition times of ingredients.

To follow suit with the analogy I think the OP is saying that specifying 1 1/16 cups of chocolate chips in a cookie recipe or adding 1/8 cup of sugar to cheesecake because it will change the flavor when in reality an addition that small will be hardly if at all noticeable. I can relate with the sentiment. Is it un necessary yes. am I going to start a movement against it? no.

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #106
germanmade84
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Techbrewie. You got it exactly. Complex good, finicky bad.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #107
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
My DFH 60 clone uses continuous hopping. It's not any work at all to add a pellet or two every couple of minutes, or a few more than that, or adding some whole hops every once in a few minutes. I"m not doing anything during the boil anyway for the most part. It's not like I measured them out and am adding .015 of an ounce or anything- just tossing them in willy nilly until the timer hits 0.
Agreed, 100%! I don't understand why people thinking adding hops at more than 2 different times in the boil is difficult. What are people doing during their boils that makes it so hard? Wrestling gators? Pruning bonzai plants? Monitoring nuclear reactors?

When I'm brewing, the most I might do during a boil is refill my glass of beer or maybe have a conversation with the people hanging around watching/helping me brew. The more there is to do, the more entertaining it is for others, and the more fun the brew day is for everybody.
Bottled - a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #108
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1712 Times on 1601 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost
What are people doing during their boils that makes it so hard? Wrestling gators? Pruning bonzai plants? Monitoring nuclear reactors?
Starting to clean

Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #109
germanmade84
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost

Agreed, 100%! I don't understand why people thinking adding hops at more than 2 different times in the boil is difficult. What are people doing during their boils that makes it so hard? Wrestling gators? Pruning bonzai plants? Monitoring nuclear reactors?

When I'm brewing, the most I might do during a boil is refill my glass of beer or maybe have a conversation with the people hanging around watching/helping me brew. The more there is to do, the more entertaining it is for others, and the more fun the brew day is for everybody.
Thats hilarious

Old 12-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #110
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost View Post
Don't be ridiculous. This is a serious topic.

I do NOT wrestle alligators, nor do I prune bonzai plants. I live in the Northwoods. I'm more likely smacking mosquitos and pickling cucumbers in the summer, and wearing a Stormy Kromer and choppers in the winter (go ahead and google that. I'll wait).

But the nuclear reactors? yeah, you found me out. I'm the Northwoods Nuclear Reactor Monitor in my area. And nuclear reactors are serious business. Almost as serious as making homebrew in my laundry room on a Saturday.

*(yes! Tomorrow is brewday in the Yooper laundry room!)

Tomorrow's recipe probably won't pass the simplicity test, though. I'm using two kinds of crystal malt (40L and 120L), a couple of ounces of chocolate malt for color, and both US 2-row and Munich malt. Worse, two kinds of hops- with the majority of them late in the boil (it's a hopped up American red).

It's a good thing I love my beer, because others might think it sucks since it has that much going on.

Quick Reply