Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Are u irritated by complex recipes like i am?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #91
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I don't really see the need to be irritated by complex recipes. In some cases, sure, it's needless precision. In others, it's quite the opposite. To grab an example from upthread, the 13 pounds 9.2 ounces of malt might indicate an obsession with precision. However, it could just as well be someone who knows he's going to read that recipe later and round it to 13.5 pounds and hasn't bothered to clean it up in his software.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #92
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Some of my most complex recipes have come from tweaking a basic recipe (or even a smash).

Start off with a nice simple smash pale ale and think, this would be good if it was a bit darker in color and a tad more carmel, so I add carmel. Now we have a standard pale ale, then I think, man the head retension on this still sucks, so I add some other malt. Then I think, I really wish it was darker in color or more roasty, etc. Soon I have 4-5 malts or multiple hops,etc.

It can get out of control, but it can also brew some good beer.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #93
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagee View Post
Some of my most complex recipes have come from tweaking a basic recipe (or even a smash).

Start off with a nice simple smash pale ale and think, this would be good if it was a bit darker in color and a tad more carmel, so I add carmel. Now we have a standard pale ale, then I think, man the head retension on this still sucks, so I add some other malt. Then I think, I really wish it was darker in color or more roasty, etc. Soon I have 4-5 malts or multiple hops,etc.

It can get out of control, but it can also brew some good beer.
I don't think anyone really has a problem with that. Each addition has some specific reason behind it. What annoys most people is the horribly complex recipe that has been created by someone who simply like to tinker with their brewing software.

That reminds me of a car I was looking at once. The manufacturer had gone so far as to replace the leather around the stick so as to save 2 oz in weight...... I walked away after hearing that, I'm just not interested in something that fussy.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 AM   #94
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem
I don't think anyone really has a problem with that. Each addition has some specific reason behind it. What annoys most people is the horribly complex recipe that has been created by someone who simply like to tinker with their brewing software.
Meh. The only thing that really irritates me is the *mass* of people posting recipes before they've even ever brewed them. I'm more than capable of putting together my own recipes, but it makes it a bit difficult for anyone to find solid recipes, or for people to have their *actually* tried-and-true recipes noticed. It's most irritating when people post their CLONE recipes without ever having even brewed them... they don't even know if it'll actually turn out anything like the commercial beer they're trying to clone. It's a common practice, but it just blows me away...
Old 12-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #95
Seedly
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanmade84 View Post
Yeah thats what i mean, if beer had to be so detailed it would not have lasted all these years and become so prevalent. I only use at most 2 hops and 2 malts in any batch because i feel when u go beyond that u start to create a science project, not beer.
url[=http://www.instructables.com/id/Brewing-Beer-With-Science/][/url]
(not mine, but hilariously relevant for the image alone)

That said, there was a poll on here asking if HBTers were engineers or non-engineers. 40% of our population self-reported as engineers. That alone should tell you why they are being so maddeningly precise! If you read through the comments, youll notice that there is a large majority of HBT that is in scientific, but non-engineering, fields.

All that said, beer is kinda like a science project when you think about it...a rather tasty science project. A heaping helping of Chemistry, some O-Chem, and a side of Biology...yep, seems like science to me!

Old 12-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #96
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedly View Post
url[=http://www.instructables.com/id/Brewing-Beer-With-Science/][/url]
(not mine, but hilariously relevant for the image alone)

That said, there was a poll on here asking if HBTers were engineers or non-engineers. 40% of our population self-reported as engineers. That alone should tell you why they are being so maddeningly precise! If you read through the comments, youll notice that there is a large majority of HBT that is in scientific, but non-engineering, fields.

All that said, beer is kinda like a science project when you think about it...a rather tasty science project. A heaping helping of Chemistry, some O-Chem, and a side of Biology...yep, seems like science to me!
This is true, and one of the big reasons that it appeals to me. I love the sciency aspects of it. Honestly, I wouldn't even be that bummed out if my beer was mediocre (which, occasionally, it is)--the fact that I get pretty damn good beer from what's essentially a big science experiment has always been a source of endless amusement to me!
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 12-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #97
germanmade84
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I do love the science behind it i have to admit, especially the yeast aspect.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #98
germanmade84
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Yeast and step mash technique, absolutly love it.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #99
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 860 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 111

magic little beasties turning sweet water into alcohol

what's not to love?

I like the science part, but the scientist in me loves the art/craft part of it; balancing the left & right sides of the brain, like hop bitterness balancing malty sweetness.

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Seedly Likes This 
Old 12-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #100
hiphops
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

simple = better. one of my best IPA's was a single hopped IPA.

Swim - bike - run - repeat
Indict - convict - affirm on appeal - repeat
Brew - bottle - drink - repeat

Quick Reply