Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Are u irritated by complex recipes like i am?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
germanmade84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Are u irritated by complex recipes like i am?

I have seen a million recipes that include things like 1/4 oz additions of cara munich or 1/25 oz addition of simcoe at 34.5 mins of boil? No monk in a trappist monestary would ever have such a nutso recipe. Thoughts please. Even if u wanna blast me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
pohldogg
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think these crazy recipes are the downside of brewing software. Being able to design any combination and have a model of the outcome is where these overly complex things come from. The simpler the better, most pro beers, and many of the highly rated ones, are super simple with just a few grains and hops in easy to manage proportions.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
tuskenraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm guessing with so many people brewing their own, trying new ideas and trying to separate themselves from the pack, it's no wonder recipes have gotten so complicated. It can be bothersome I'll admit. Brew a SMaSH beer in defiance! Simple goodness.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
germanmade84
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah thats what i mean, if beer had to be so detailed it would not have lasted all these years and become so prevalent. I only use at most 2 hops and 2 malts in any batch because i feel when u go beyond that u start to create a science project, not beer.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
tuskenraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well if Bells Double Cream Stout, which touts 10 grains, is a science project...........just yum. I'm guilty of a 9 grain wannabe/science project in the fermenter right now, lol. Hope it's somewhere close. I shoulda thrown the Special B in just to make the numbers match. But I got two SMaSH's bottled up as well. So many ways to make good beer........

Old 12-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanmade84 View Post
Yeah thats what i mean, if beer had to be so detailed it would not have lasted all these years and become so prevalent. I only use at most 2 hops and 2 malts in any batch because i feel when u go beyond that u start to create a science project, not beer.
Ahh, but you need to recognize that some brewers love the scientific aspects of the hobby. Different strokes for different folks, but each of us can do whatever it is we like to do. We're all still making beer!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4930 Times on 3575 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanmade84 View Post
That may work, but it also could be very limiting as well.

I brewed a beer today with 9 ounces of hops- four different kinds. I didn't just throw them in willy-nilly, though. There was a purpose to them, with flavors that would go together. By only using two varieties, many IPAs and other favorite beers wouldn't be brewed.

The same is true with malt. I mean, it'd be silly to use four kinds of roasted malt in a stout. But for an American amber, it really makes a better beer to use two kinds of crystal malt- a lighter one, and a darker one. It gives complexity, depth, and flavor to the beer. To limit myself to only two malt types means brewing sometimes boring beer.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
People Like This 
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 837 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Yep, you can make amazing beers with a very simple recipe. It's like baking. Know how many amazing things you can make with flour, eggs, and sugar?

Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 171

I'm not irritated by them, I just usually don't brew them

I believe that given an expert grasp of ingredients and how they contribute to the end product that you can produce fantastic results from complex recipes. I on the other hand don't possess this kind of grasp on the ingredients so I generally aim for a more simplistic approach and ingredient set, which is not to say that I don't wish I understood them better - part of the reason I continue to brew

Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
germanmade84
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Totally hear that. I love that too. I guess my thing is i just love simple, old fashioned style methods.

Quick Reply