Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Typical efficiency for 10 gal round cooler + false bottom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
badmajon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Typical efficiency for 10 gal round cooler + false bottom

I'm probably stretching it to say I'm getting 70%. I'm tired of my beers always seeming to be on the low OG side of normal. I have a round cooler with a false bottom. Using single infusion mash, single batch sparge. I also use 5.5 stabilizer. Using precrushed grains.

I probably lose 1.5 degrees of heat per hour, maybe 1 if I put towels on the top of the tun.

I just can't figure it out. Anyone else on here with a similar setup care to tell me what effeciency they are getting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
PantherCity
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could switch to a double batch sparge or fly-sparge. 70% is not bad if it is consistent. If you are able to get the same efficiency each time then your are good to go.

Use another pound of grain if you need to. I would not want my efficiency to go higher than 85%.

I have the same set up and I got ~70% with batch sparging and I'm around 75-80 with fly sparging.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'd say the big variable is the pre-crushed grains, not your equipment or process. But 70% isn't bad as long as you plan for it. That's about what most recipes are geared to anyway. You might try skipping the mash out step and doing two sparges.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Same setup. I get 75%. Decoction to mashout at 168 on every batch.

We're talking ~$2.00 here. I don't know how others get 85% (so they claim) and I don't really care.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 10-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Your efficiency is going to be less about your cooler and more about your sparge technique and grain crush. Even if the cooler loses a couple of degrees over the life of the mash, it's not really impacting efficiency. I personally batch sparge. It's quick, reasonably efficient given the time it takes, and works for me. I get a consistent 70%-75% efficiency out of this method. I'm fine with that. If you fly sparge your efficiency might hit 85%-90%, but at the expense of increased time sparging. It's always going to be a trade off between time and efficiency.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I have a round cooler with a manifold and I fly sparge. I'm usually in the 80-85% range. It's been toward the lower end of the range as I have been sparging a little faster lately.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebrewMTB View Post
I'd say the big variable is the pre-crushed grains, not your equipment or process. But 70% isn't bad as long as you plan for it. That's about what most recipes are geared to anyway. You might try skipping the mash out step and doing two sparges.
This ^

I used a round cooler with a braid for ~2 years doing mostly single or double batch sparges. I found that the two biggest factors for efficiency were the crush and how well I stirred after adding the sparge water. I got a predictable 80-85% efficiency depending on gravity, and that hasn't changed any since I built my HERMS and sold my cooler. IMO an infusion mash out is counter productive for batch sparging. It's the stirring that gets the sugars into solution, and hotter temps don't aid the process any. As for "locking in" the wort profile, it takes less time to batch sparge than it does to denature the enzymes. Unless you're fly sparging, you're much better off using that water to increase your sparge volume.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmajon
I'm probably stretching it to say I'm getting 70%. I'm tired of my beers always seeming to be on the low OG side of normal. I have a round cooler with a false bottom. Using single infusion mash, single batch sparge. I also use 5.5 stabilizer. Using precrushed grains.

I probably lose 1.5 degrees of heat per hour, maybe 1 if I put towels on the top of the tun.

I just can't figure it out. Anyone else on here with a similar setup care to tell me what effeciency they are getting?
I tried an ag in a 10 gallon cooler and got horrible efficiency. Something like 50 percent. Then I did one biab with a double crush and got something crazy like 80%. From everything I've read you don't want too much more than that and if you can get anywhere over 65 consistently you are golden.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #9
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just going to agree with several others here and suggest you look at your crush. If you plan to brew for years to come a grain mill is a good investment. Personally I'm not a fan of the pH stabilizer stuff. I do my own adjustments working with this http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/ spreadsheet and hit around 80% consistently. Good luck.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

10g round cooler with false bottom. 80% efficiency into fermenter with a mash out and fly sparge.
75% efficiency with a double batch sparge and no mash out.
Never tried a single batch sparge.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Quick Reply