Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Type of propane regulator on AG system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #11
casebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Low propane seems to lower the pressure too. I ran mine about dry last brew, and the bottom of the tank got icy, and flame lowered. I swapped to the nearly empty spare, and ran it 'til the same thing happened. Then, I swapped back to the now-thawed tank, and pitched my aroma hops. It ran well, just long enough.

I sure do like an adjustable reg. I use it to lower the flame as it nears boiling, and prevent boil over. Then, after skimming the gooey foam off that rises as it comes to a boil, I can adjust how fast a boil I want. Big red knob, but I don't know it's range.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 11:25 AM   #12
JnJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Not sure if this is part of the problem, but I found that if I have my regulator already open and then open the tank's valve, my flow would be real low. First time it happened I thought I was running out of gas. I shut it all down, closed the regulator and tank valve. Then I opened the tank valve and then the regulator and it works fine that way.

Töpperwein Brewery

Old 07-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #13
drayman86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnJ
Not sure if this is part of the problem, but I found that if I have my regulator already open and then open the tank's valve, my flow would be real low. First time it happened I thought I was running out of gas. I shut it all down, closed the regulator and tank valve. Then I opened the tank valve and then the regulator and it works fine that way.

Right, thanks. I found a similar post on the Weber Grill FAQ about the safety bypass in the regulator. What you describe sounds similar, and the fix is nearly the same:

"Since 1995 all regulators (the part that attaches to the gas tank to regulate the flow of gas) have included a safety device that restricts the flow of gas in the event of a gas leak. This safety device can be inadvertently activated in two ways, putting the grill into what is commonly called “bypass”. The first way for the device to be activated is to leave one or more burner control knobs in the “ON” position when the LP cylinder valve is opened. The second is not to wait long enough to “start” the grill after opening the LP cylinder valve. The safety device in the regulator is activated each time that the LP cylinder valve is opened. The device resets itself when the gas pressure equalizes between the closed burner control valve and the regulator, through the hose. If a burner control knob is turned on before the gas pressure can equalize, the device will remain in “bypass”. The length of time necessary to wait to “start” the grill after turning on the LP cylinder valve is dependent on the length of the hose and outside air temperature. It is always good practice to wait a few seconds after opening the LP cylinder valve before turning on the burner control knob to start the grill.

"Keep in mind that the safety device reacts to a gas leak. If a grill is in bypass the gas connections and hose should be tested for leaks with a soap and water solution.

"If the grill is in bypass, after checking for gas leaks do the following to get the grill out of bypass:
Cart Based Models

* Close the LP tank valve
* Turn all burner control knobs to the OFF position
* Open the grill lid
* Turn the LP tank valve until it is completely open
* Wait several seconds
* Turn the front burner to the HI/Start position
* Press the igniter until the burner is lit.
* Turn remaining burners to High
* Close the lid.
* The grill should preheat to 500-550 degrees in 10-15 minutes

"Weber Q 100 and 200 series with an adapter hose and the Q 300 series.

* Close the LP tank valve
* Turn all burner control knobs to the OFF position
* Open the grill lid
* Turn the tank valve until it is completely open
* Wait at least 1 minute
* Turn the burner control knob to Hi/Start
* Press the igniter to light the burner
* Turn any remaining burner control knobs to High
* The grill should preheat to 500-550 degrees in 10-15 minutes.

Quick Reply