Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Two yeast - two wort brew expiment.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
Dienekles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Two yeast brew expiment.

Experiment goals: To see if it possible to split a single wort into two seprate batches, fermenting them with two seprate yeasts, then recombining them in a secondary - thereby reaping the benifits of both flavor profiles before conditioning.

Just looking for a little guidance here - has anyone done similar experiments OR does anyone have any reason why with might not work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #2
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I think I'd rather keep them separate so I could compare effects of the yeasts, but that's not your goal.

I'm thinking of brewing a double batch of the same beer using a mash for one and extract for the other. I'm kinda curious about the flavour differences.

Keep us informed.

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Old 07-11-2005, 06:07 PM   #3
cygnus128
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienekles
Experiment goals: To see if it possible to split a single wort into two seprate batches, fermenting them with two seprate yeasts, then recombining them in a secondary - thereby reaping the benifits of both flavor profiles before conditioning.

Just looking for a little guidance here - has anyone done similar experiments OR does anyone have any reason why with might not work?
I can't imagine there would be any kind of problem doing this. I don't think the yeast will get in any fights or anything .

You will probably want to set asside a small sample of each alone just to compare the parts to the sum...just a thought .

Good luck!!

Old 07-15-2005, 12:55 AM   #4
Dienekles
Recipes 

Well the differences between yeasts from different areas are well documented, but I might set asside a gallon from both batches - bottle em up all at the same time and let you know how it turns out.

I'll keep you fellas (and ladies) informed.

Jareds Creed:
Relax, this is beer, you can't kill yourself making beer.
Always strive to make a more flavorful, colorful, and complex brew.
More steps does Not mean more advanced.

Quick Reply