Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Two cooler setup for HLT and MLT help needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
jfenton78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Two cooler setup for HLT and MLT help needed?

I recall seeing a thread recently where they discussed using two coolers for the HLT and MLT. The strike and sparge water would be heated in the boil kettle, then pumped into the HLT. I'm thinking of doing this for my new electric brewery, but would like to get some feedback on this type of setup. I know I can still step mash if needed, by putting a HERMS in the kettle which I'm also considering.

For those with a HERMS in the kettle how do you connect the coil to the exterior of the keg? I'd like to get some ideas.

Thanks.

Jeff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
autoferret
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use to use 2 5gal coolers (which were small for what i was brewing) and a keggle as my boil kettle. I would just heat up my water in the keggle and then fill the MLT and mash in. Then heat up the sparge water and put into the HLT and would then drain it back into the keggle to boil.

Primary: Local Honey Mead;
Secondary: Merlot;
Keg: "Experimental" American Ale; Kinda Nutty Brown Ale;
Bottled: "Oatie the Oatmeal Stout"; NB Saison; "666" by request; NB 115th Dream hopbursted;EdWort's Apfelwein
Up Coming: Imperial Oatmeal Stout; House IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply