The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Two boils, one mash.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Two boils, one mash.

I'm planning to do two identical IPAs with different hop schedules. They'll both be 5.5 gallon batches.

If I have the ability to mash both at once, is there any reason not to do one big mash, then split into two boils? I.e. will leaving one batch of wort just sitting around for an hour or so have any effect on it?

I know it will still make beer, but I thought I'd run it by y'all and see if anyone's done this - I want the two beers to be as similar as possible with exception of the hops, so if it'll change the character of the beer at all I'd like to know.

Thanks,

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I can't see any reason they would be different at all as long as you stir the full amount of wort together before splitting it up. Otherwise, you might have a bit of a gravity issue between the two.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yeah, that was my plan: mash and sparge together, then drain from one kettle into a backup kettle.

-Joe

Old 04-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
kjjohns5
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This doesn't seem like it would affect the beer at all. I say go for it

Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
BuzzCraft
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
If I have the ability to mash both at once, is there any reason not to do one big mash, then split into two boils? I.e. will leaving one batch of wort just sitting around for an hour or so have any effect on it?
The only way I could see this affecting things is if you didn't raise your temps at the end (mash out) to stop enzyme activity. Otherwise, any difference should be undetectable.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

There's a lot of people -- myself included -- that do single mash/two boils because of kettle limitations. You definitely want to mix your mash and sparge and carefully stir it so you don't have hot aeration but you definitely want an even mix of the denser mas runnings and the less dense sparge runnings.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
iamopie2
Recipes 

I agree with an above poster regarding mash out. I would say as long as you mash out it should be no issue.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Don't you have two burners? I use my HLT as a boil kettle for these types of things. Shaves an hour off brew day at least.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply