The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Two batches @ one time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 02:13 AM   #1
tbulger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Two batches @ one time?

I am going to be moving in a few weeks so i probably wont be able to brew for a while so i was thinking about trying to get two brews done in one session. I am might start the second mash half way through my first boil, then drain once i pitch. That seems like a i might get myself into a mess though too much going on at once. Would it be possible to to re-mash/sparge the same grains and then maybe do a partial boil and add some extract? If so how would i calculate how much gravity i would be getting out of it how much extract to add?

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbulger
I am going to be moving in a few weeks so i probably wont be able to brew for a while so i was thinking about trying to get two brews done in one session. I am might start the second mash half way through my first boil, then drain once i pitch. That seems like a i might get myself into a mess though too much going on at once. Would it be possible to to re-mash/sparge the same grains and then maybe do a partial boil and add some extract? If so how would i calculate how much gravity i would be getting out of it how much extract to add?
Two things:

1) Your grains would be spent so that woudn't yield much. You'll need to start with fresh.

C) Take some vitamin B12 and good luck...

Old 04-18-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I brewed today, and truly, I spent alot of time just sitting around You could get your first one off to boil, and then start (fresh) with the second. By the time the boil is done, the mash would be about done. Sounds like it would work fine. Just have two different timers, and good notes.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:09 AM   #4
AdIn

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had a different approach to this process. Last Sunday I brewed one batch but for two different kind of beer. I brewed one Helles with OG 1.050 and one Kolsch with OG 1.042 as one batch. It was a so called PM. Did a usual mash in my 5g cooler for 12.5 pounds of grain with double decoction. My boiling vessel is only 8 gallons. So I boiled down to 6 g of wort and added 3 pounds of DME for last 30 minutes of boil. In the end I split concentrated wort in two fermenters one for Helles, one for Kolsch. Added some water to bring it up to desired volume and gravities. Both are happyly bubbling now. Helles in my frige, Kolsch in Garage @ 62F. Seem like a simpler option instead of two batches.

Non-alcoholic beer is a first step to a rubber woman

Last edited by AdIn; 04-18-2007 at 04:00 AM.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:18 AM   #5
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great idea! did you change hop schedule at all?

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 04-18-2007, 03:29 AM   #6
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd consider it a great day to do two back to back brews!

have the mash going on one while your finishing up the boil on another......

Old 04-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

There are other threads about this with some good ideas and tips, this link has step by step instructions.

http://www.strangebrew.ca/swig/

cheers

Last edited by WOP31; 04-18-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I almost always brew two batches. I have two turkey fryer burner stands, and three 8gal kettles. What that means, for me at least, is that one can be AG, but the other has to be PM---all because, after I sparge the AG enough to get enough of the sugars off the grain bed, I end up with a starting wort volume that's a little too big for an 8 gallon kettle. So I have to split the AG up. What I'll do is put some of the wort into a smaller pot and put it on the side burner of my grill and boil the volume down while the rest of it boils in the main kettle on my fryer stand alongside the PM batch. It's a bit hodgepodge, and ideally I really need a 10 gallon kettle, but for now, it works. I figure, as long as I've committed half a day to brewing, I might as well get as much return on my investment as I can.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

I just made the move to 10-gallon capacity. I had thought about doing a double-5. My household is drinking beer too fast to keep up with only 5-gallon sessions....

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply