New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Turning 10 gallon cooler into mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 04:25 AM   #1
talenos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Turning 10 gallon cooler into mash tun

So, I decided this week to try and get supplies to make the jump to all-grain. I found a pretty decent deal on a 10 gallon orange igloo cooler, so I just need to find out what else I need to make things go a little easier.

Looking at Austin Home Brew, it looks like i should get one of these. So I can get the wort out easier.

https://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=11639&wishlistattribu tes=

Also, I know I need a braid or manifold or a false bottom. This looks like the one for my cooler.

https://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10654&wishlistattribu tes=

So, question is, what do I need to go from the false bottom to the ball valve? Also, what tubing do i use to go from the cooler to the brew pot?

Also, what size brew pot should I get. I was looking at a 10, but would going to 15 give me the flexibility to brew a 10 gallon batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd get another 3/8 barb to put on the other end of the of the weldless cooler kit: that way you can use a 3/8 tube to go from the barb of the false bottom to the ball valve. Any tubing that's food grade and can withstand temps up to 212 will be good.

On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 06-27-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Here is a popular thread on the cooler conversion you are doing. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

If you at all think you are going to 10 gallon batches someday then get the 15 gallon pot and you will be set.

Gary

Old 06-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
talenos
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
Here is a popular thread on the cooler conversion you are doing. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

If you at all think you are going to 10 gallon batches someday then get the 15 gallon pot and you will be set.
Thanks that looks like exactly what I need. Hopefully Igloos are similar enough. Sounded like a few people needed some different things.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:44 AM   #5
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 7

1 vote for a braid over FB or manifold...just personal preferrence...all will work. I guess I just like the simplicity of the braid and batch sparging.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 06-28-2009, 03:09 AM   #6
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

+1 on the 15 gallon boil kettle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:18 AM   #7
talenos
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
1 vote for a braid over FB or manifold...just personal preferrence...all will work. I guess I just like the simplicity of the braid and batch sparging.
Yeah, I think I decided that since I'm going to start with batch sparging I might as well use the braid. If i do move on to something else then at least it won't have set me back very far either.

Quick Reply