New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > To turn to the dark side or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
mwmoose152
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default To turn to the dark side or not?

So, I've been brewing for about 8 months now, with 10 batches (extract & extract w/specialty grains) under my belt. I know this is a very novice status, but I'm enjoying it so far.

The question is....when did you guys make the jump to all-grain, and are there any setbacks to it? I enjoy brewing, and have a 2-car garage & a deck on the back of my house, so space to do so isn't an issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks, all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
MazdaMatt
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I never understood what the holdup is for anybody to go all grain. Buy a turkey fryer, sew up a muslin bag, start brewing. You don't need an automated three-teir, pumped, liquid-cooled, turbo charged rocket powered brew setup. Get at er.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
smitty2324
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I did one batch and switched to grain.... haven't looked back once. There a tons of posts on here about doing all-grain on the cheap. Cooler and parts to do a mash tun are <$75 and you are good to go. You can make that up in grain vs LME in 5-10 batches.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I did one partial mash batch at #4 then went all grain. Other than space to brew, just get good hardware. Do some test batches to dial it all in and you should ne good to go. If you have the optiom to watch someone brew an all grain batch, do it. Check out a few different brewers setups and use that to help you to figure out what to get.

I've really been enjoying brewing qll grain. You'll probably want to look into getting some sacks of base malt as soon as possible. Get s grain mill too and it will be even better. Buy all your grain whole so that you have recipe flexibility right up to when you crush it all. Actually right up to when you start the mash.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 06-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
NaturalBornSwiller
Recipes 

Go for it! I went all grain after 2 batches. Not as hard as it seems, just more time and more fun. Have at it!

Old 06-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
mwmoose152
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick responses guys. My 30th bday is coming next moth, so I'll be asking brothers parents and wife for materials to make mlt.

Thanks!!

Old 06-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There are zero setbacks. It's more fun and tastes better to me.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Don't think of AG brewing as a "dark side", but be weary that it is absolutely a big commitment of time on brewday, and could be as big a cost of equipment as you would like to make it.

I started with AG, so it is all I have ever known. I really like the process, and am happy to spend 6 hours once a month on a batch of beer. It is like my version of a golf day. I think that is a good way to look at it.

Joe

Old 06-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

IMO it's much more fun & rewarding...from building your own MLT to formulating recipes. Plus, you now have the flexibility to include grains that can only be mashed like rye.

I've only done one AG batch so far, but I can already tell from my samples that the color is spot on & clarity is much improved...not to mention it tastes great. It's more fun brewing outside too.

The biggest thing you'll need to figure out is the efficiency you get from your set-up. I was low on mine, but got better than expected attenuation from my yeast, so it wasn't a huge deal. Once you've established a consistent process/efficiency, you're set.

Secondary 1
: Oud Bruin
Secondary 2: BA Pumpkin Stout
Bottled/Kegged: Triple IPA, Choc/PB Stout, American IPA, Raspberry Brown, Smoked Rye Amber, Red IPA, American Barleywine, IIPA #1, X-Mas Ale, Apfelwein, APA, Scotch Ale, Imperial Smoked Porter, English IPA, Hefeweizen, Weizenbock, Belgian Tripel, Session Wheat IPA, Baltic Porter, Imperial Red IPA, IIPA #2, Helles, Mild, Belgian Dark X-Mas
Upcoming Brews: n/a

Old 06-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
MazdaMatt
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You don't even need a mash tun. Bring your turkey fryer up to strike temp, drop the grain in the bag, mix, wrap the pot with a blanket and you're golden. 1 pot+burner, 1 bag, 1 blanket and 1 spoon are pretty much all you need. Takes up very little space, costs very little money.

From there, of course, the sky is the limit for spending money on gear and taking up space.

Quick Reply