Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Trying to switch over from extract to all grain, could I get a hand?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #21
ToddPacker69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is aluminum bad to boil in? I have been told to use stainless which is real expensive, or enamel. I have a 20 qt enamel pot SMOKEWATER. I am guessing I will need a bigger one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddPacker69
Is aluminum bad to boil in? I have been told to use stainless which is real expensive, or enamel. I have a 20 qt enamel pot SMOKEWATER. I am guessing I will need a bigger one.
No, aluminum is not bad but does need to be conditiond to create a oxidized layer that you don't want to scrub off afterwards.. And dont use the water you boiled to condition the pot for brewing!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #23
Exbeerienced
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Here you go. And congrats! I always say, it's hard to make bad beer when you go all grain!

clapping-people.gif  

Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #24
smokewater
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddPacker69 View Post

Bad thing about enamel is once it gets a chip it will rust.

Check out these threads

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...grain-brewing-
pics-90132/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab...g-pics-233289/

another slightly larger pot would make this possible

If you plan to not boil on the stove go at least 8-10 gallons for the pot. 8 gallons is about minimum for full volume boils.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
Irishwrench
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I had all the same items as you before recently switching to AG. Here is the additional items I made/bought to complete the process:

1. MLT - 52 quart cooler from Target. various brass/stainless fittings from Lowes. 1/2" CPVC piping for manifold from Lowes
2. Immersion cooler. 40' of 3/8 copper tubing from home depot. Couple brass compression fittings from Home Depot
3. Turkey fryer from Bass Pro Shops 30qt Aluminum pot. Added a ball valve from Lowes and a copper manifold to bottom of pot.
4. Hop Spider. PVC reducer, carriage bolts, paint strainer bag, and hose clamp from Home Depot. I only added this to the AG mix because the hops would clog up the manifold in turkey fryer pot.

I still use my old 5 gallon pots from the extract days to heat strike water on stove top. I collect wort from MLT in turkey fryer pot and boil outside. Immersion cooler fits nicely in 30qt pot and I use garden hose to feed it cold water, recycle water out to swimming pool via another garden hose.

Some links that inspired me along the way:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-...d-cost-243974/

Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
ONOIML8
Recipes 

My first all grain was just adjusted so I could do everything using my existing extract equipment. I just used brewtarget to adjust for 3 gallon boils and used the family picnic cooler as a MLT.

My initial cost to go all grain: $0.00

However, you must be warned: it's addictive and you'll quickly find yourself buying ingredients and gadgets.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #27
ToddPacker69
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think I am going to go stainless steel for my brew pot, my enamel one is too small. I got a real good deal on some stainless steel pots from the kitchen I work at, what size should I order? How big in quarts/gallons do I need for all grain, consider I want to do 5 gallon batches for now, but maybe bigger quantities in the future?

Old 05-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddPacker69
I think I am going to go stainless steel for my brew pot, my enamel one is too small. I got a real good deal on some stainless steel pots from the kitchen I work at, what size should I order? How big in quarts/gallons do I need for all grain, consider I want to do 5 gallon batches for now, but maybe bigger quantities in the future?
62qt is perfect for my AG batches.. It does 8gal 90 minute boils good.. Sometimes it gets close to boiling over but I HOVER for the first 10 minutes with my trustee spray bottle untill the rolling boil
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #29
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 171

The size of the pot is partially determined by how you are going to heat it.

Some people cannot boil more than 3 gallons on their stovetop.

I have a turkey fryer ~$50 when not on sale at Home Depot. It is somewhat slow to heat 10 gallons for strike water. I got a Bayou Classic SP10 for the boil kettle and will boil the 7+ gallons of wort easily.

Even with a 10 gallon pot I still have to be careful at the start of the boil. I have boiled over a couple of times.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #30
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just switched from extract and steeping grains to PM and then to AG. Below is a list of the additional supplies I bought

//-------------list of supplies follows------------------

//--------------end list of supplies--------------------

opinions on the best/most effecient/cheapest way to do AG are like elbows; everybody has one. I do BIAB single infusion in a 7.5 gallon turkey frier. Just bought a 15 gallon boilermaker so I will have no issues with large grain bills in a 5 gallon batch, but that's not required. Equipment may make the process easier but it doesn't make the beer better. Only you can do that. Read and understand the principles, to a point you can explain the answers to the following questions

1. What is alpha amalyse
2. What is beta amalyse
3. What is the impact of low VS high mash temps
4. what is the affect of raising mash temp above 170

once you understand the answers to these 4 questions you will be ready to decide for yourself what you need.

Quick Reply