Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Trying to switch over from extract to all grain, could I get a hand?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #11
henryred
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wasn't as clear as I thought.
I use the bottling bucket and sparge bag as a mash tun. It worked good for 9 ag batches before playing with a cooler

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #12
CryoEng
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddPacker69 View Post
tek, Ive been doing a ton of research. Reading a bunch of articles. I read the article before, I just am still confused. The other comment wasn't too helpful, and yours, well, speaks for itself. But I will now research the brew in a bag method.

PS- I said I have
" a 5 g carboy, another 6.5 gallon plastic bucket, and then a bottling bucket. I got the true brew gold kit, so it came with bottle capper, siphon, etc..." I now know I need a mash tun just trying to figure out how I can get one without paying 100s of dollars.
You're doing the right thing in the "research" and "reading" part. Try and keep in mind the things you're attempting to accomplish. Getting wort.

I once was about to throw out an old laundry sink. I converted that puppy into a great mash/lauter tun with a bit of screen, a valve on the drain and some plywood and foam insulation.

Super special equipment isn't the goal. Learn as much as possible about the goals of the process and you'll be amazed at the different ways to tackle it.

Read. Understand. Approach. Enjoy!

Cheers

Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 AM   #13
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 41

You have the bottling equipment and the fermenting equipment. To go all grain you need a way to mash and to boil. With boil in a bag they can be 1 in the same. Go online and do a google search for a 40 quart aluminum pot and buy the cheapest one you can find. Then go to home depot or lowes and get the largest paint strainer bag you can find or to LHBS and get the large sparge bag. Then go to the nearest farm supply store and get a galvanized water tub 60 qt is best. Now do a search on HBT for BIAB and read about brew in a bag. The 60 qt tub is for 20 lb of ice and water to give your 40 qt brew an ice bath to cool in. The rest is same as extract/partial mash.

Edit... 4 home brew IPA's into the wind and loving it

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 05-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #14
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/

That is where I started and found it was very easy to follow and made myself an MLT that I now have successfully brewed 2 batches of AG beer within. I spent about $60 on building it. I might not be able to speak on the level of difficulty being a mechanic by trade though but I honestly think anyone that is capable of reading comprehension should be able to follow the instructions in the above mentioned link.

I would pick up a Banjo Burner turkey-frier (propane burner) and at least a 7 gallon kettle to brew with. Aside from that some other items I bought to switch over was a 1/4 gallon glass pitcher to use for pulling water out of my kettle for sparging and a colander I also use to sparge with (placing it over the opening of my MLT.)

Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 AM   #15
iceemone
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

+1 on the cooler MLT. If you go that route, definitely spring for the 10 gallon cooler. I did the five gallon and am wishing I had gone bigger. Try the BIAB for a couple of batches. I think the important thing is to just start brewing all grain and experiment. It will make more sense the more brew days you do and you will find what works for YOU!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #16
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceemone
+1 on the cooler MLT. If you go that route, definitely spring for the 10 gallon cooler. I did the five gallon and am wishing I had gone bigger. Try the BIAB for a couple of batches. I think the important thing is to just start brewing all grain and experiment. It will make more sense the more brew days you do and you will find what works for YOU!
I just started BIAB from extract and all it took was a turkey fryer and a nylon bag. If you look on eBay you can score a fryer for about $100 and use paint strainer bags from the depot and start brewing AG right away.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #17
Nomad
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'd strongly reccomend going the batch sparge route. Denny Kohn's website shows how to build a cooler MLT with an SS hose braid for a manifold. I built a system like his, and did split stovetop boils for a few years before going to a propane burner recently, and got great results. New 40 qt Aluminum stock pots at restaurant supply stores are about sixty bucks. Google Denny brew for instructions.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 AM   #18
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I went all grain and the only additional piece I purchased was a 10 gallon igloo water cooler, a ball valve kit, and a kettle screen (bazooka tube). I later added a grain mill to crush my own.

I already had a 15gal ss pot, immersion cooler, etc that I used for extract.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #19
smokewater
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddPacker69 View Post
I have a 5 g carboy, another 6.5 gallon plastic bucket, and then a bottling bucket. I got the true brew gold kit, so it came with bottle capper, siphon, etc...
What size pot do you have? If money is an issue you can pick up a cheap aluminum pot on amazon.

I recently bought this 13 gallon one for under $40 shipped

http://www.amazon.com/Imperial-MW121...pd_sim_sbs_k_1

I bought a yard if viole fabric for around $5 at a fabric shop, took it to an alteration sewing shop and they sewed 2 bags custom cut to fit the pot for $12.

I could do a 10 gallon batch if I wanted to now.

A turkey fryer set up is what I used before with a 8 gallon pot. That required sparging in a 5 gallon bucket to wind up with a full 5 gallon batch. I used a smaller pot to heat that water on the stove.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:38 AM   #20
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1071 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

I recently switched to AG and I used the instructions here http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm with a cooler that I had lying around and the conversion cost me around $15 and it works great. I have an 8 gallon tamale pot I use for my boil that I bought for $20 so you can definitely build something inexpensive and easy to make great beer.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Quick Reply